MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
souroull
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Primitive question from a novice!

First post, hi guys! Out of the countless topics i've read over time on various forums , guess what, you guys stand out so i decided to finally sign up and start picking on your brain! :)

I've only been smoking for the past 6 months or so, and had about a dozen smokes so far, some successful, some failed.

I wanted to start over and review my strategy so that i can finally end up to something consistent, so here goes basic question number 1... how much meat should be covering the bone?

I've had ribs that had an inch or more meat covering the bone, down to a whole slab of shiners, both with varied results.

So the question is, how much meat should a slab of bbacks and spares have directly on top of the bone? Half an inch? Just covering it? something in between?
souroull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

However much when they come out of the package.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Having found most places sell the ribs that look like shiners, I try to find meaty looking ones with some fat that I trim. With that being said, I have had good luck with Costco (California) baby backs that are cryovacced and have had worse luck with local grocery stores to the point where I dont buy them. I believe the Costco ones are Swift brand which might be found elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't understand the question.
Are you talking about raw when you buy them or after they are cooked?

Thickness varies from rib to rib.

Last edited by Pappy; 01-09-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
souroull
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm talking raw, and for the amount of meat directly above the bone.

I've been searching around the net for days unable to find the answer to a very simple question. I know for a fact that the bone shouldn't be bare (aka shiners), but then again, ideally, how much meat should be covering the bone? (thickness).

"meaty" and "like they come out of the box" don't really help me as pre-packed is not an option around here, it's a matter of telling the butcher please cut it so that there's THAT much meat covering the bones...

That much = how much? :)

Anybody got a pre-cut/pre-packed slab to take a look?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

maybe 1/2" would be huge. 1" your talking Iowa loinbacks. wrong kind of muscle group for ribs when that much meat is left on
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

There isn't any magic measurement, I cook 'em like I get 'em. Depends on the size of the pig as much as anything else I guess. Whatever is left on there after the side meat is taken off is what you get. If I'm starting with a whole wild hog, same thing. I never trim any meat off, just cook what's there after the side meat and ribs are seperated.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
unfoundfred
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

It really depends on the pig. I took a pig butchery class and when it came time to cut out the ribs, the pig had a natural seam that was followed that separated it from the belly meat. The pig determines the thickness of the rib meat, not the butcher.

You can get a good idea in this video (starting around the 2:45 mark):

SS Performer | 18.5" OTS | 22.5" WSM | Summit S-620

Last edited by unfoundfred; 01-09-2013 at 03:49 PM..
unfoundfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you was a Woman would you want a Thin bone or a Thick meaty one? Size matters, I rest My case!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
souroull
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
maybe 1/2" would be huge. 1" your talking Iowa loinbacks. wrong kind of muscle group for ribs when that much meat is left on
Ah we're getting somewhere! :)

Nice video by the way, i've seen countless but this one is probably the best one yet.

I understand about the natural seam and everything, but i can't visualize it as i've never actually cut one, nor i've ever seen one properly trimmed before, or maybe i have but had no clue, hence why i'm trying to be so specific.

Each hog will be diffeent, yes and sorry for trying to be so specific, but even if we account for big variation between results, if you were to tell me that it should be roughly between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick, then i'd be happy, as right now, i don't even know where to start :)

Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

In truth, you are looking for a specific answer that does not exist. Simple as that. Here is a different take.

Loin back ribs/baby back ribs - traditional thickness, are separated along the seam of meat, between the loin and the thin layer of meat over the rib bones. This layer of meat is typically 1/4" to 1/2" over the highest part of the bone.

Loin back ribs/baby back ribs - extra thick, the seam is ignored and the ribs are separated with the loin strip being removed and the remaining meat left on the rib bones. These will be anywhere from 1/2" to 1-1/4" of meat over the bone.

Spare ribs, again, there is a natural seam, that separates the meat on the rib from the larger cut of meat above the bone. If separated at that seam, which is almost never the case, you end up with around 1/2 inch of meat over the bone. Most often it is cut closer to maximize meat and minimize ribs waste.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
BobM
Babbling Farker

You have to take what you can get and cook them the best you can.

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess what we're all saying is that none of us have probably ever specified a thickness of meat when buying ribs, we just buy them and cook them.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Birdie
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
I guess what we're all saying is that none of us have probably ever specified a thickness of meat when buying ribs, we just buy them and cook them.
Yes that's probably true. I butcher my own hogs once a year and as my dad has said plenty of times of its not on one piece its on the other so don't worry about it.
For what you are asking its just your choice if they give you that option, how much do you want within reason.
When I cut out the ribs I can tell when I'm getting to close to the bone but other than that it is what it is when it's done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
souroull
Knows what a fatty is.

Alright then. I'm unfortunate enough to get ribs in the package looking like so:

My only hope is to have a butcher cut me some the way i want them, hence me asking.

From the countless pics i've seen online, 1/2 inch sounds a lot so i'll try 1/4 next time, or at least something with some bone coverage, even if it's minimal.

Thanks for the input guys