MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
On the road to being a farker

Default Pit photos, and a question.

So I have been building this pit for about 5 months. I plan to have it powder coated, and it is currently sand blasted. Main chamber is 24''x 3'3" with a 3/8" wall thickness. My firebox is 18"x 3'2" with a 1/2" wall thickness. It is trimmed out with stainless flat bar as the flanging for the door which will be polished to a high shine. I designed everything on her. I am super proud of the hinges I designed, and spent forever rounding, and polishing. It is reverse flow, and last night proved it ran like a champ. Shooting a laser on the top of the fire box and getting a reading of nearly 400 degrees got me thinking of a warming box. If I were to put a warming box( I guess that is what they are called) above my fire box how hot could it get. Do they just warm or could pies be cooked in them? I would go flush with the sides of my firebox, and tie into my main chamber. Not sure how high I want to go. Looking for ideas, and advice. 533881_10200210051352615_555808895_n.jpg

547062_10200210036432242_1734633396_n.jpg

487132_10200210047432517_6593505_n.jpg
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

very nice lookin' cooker!

Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
chef solon
Found some matches.

Jealous for sure... wish I had the talent to weld something like that!

As far as the oven type box goes - the more trapped surface area from the top of your box - the better heat you can get. I would focus on having an ability to vent more / less based on warming needs. I would imagine that with the right amount of control and sealing in the door you could cook a pie or cobbler in there easily. Additionally with good sealing I don't see why you couldn't go with more than one shelf in there to add more cook space.
chef solon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice pit. How will the powder coat hold up to the heat?
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Nice pit, how much does it weigh, 3/8" cooking chamber and 1/2" firebox wow very thick metal.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice pit. Why so tall on the smoke stack?
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

It weighs around a 1000 lbs. The powder coating I am going to use is good for up to 1200 degrees F. Thinking Green Illiusion on the pit, Metallic black doors, and polish stainless trim. Thinking about doing the heat box flush with the sides of the fire box on all sides stopping just before my smoke stack in height, and 45ing the top corners. Double doors on the front. Same hinges same trim. Thoughts?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Cause it looks nice, and to keep smoke out of my face :) getting good air flow so no reason to change it.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Here is a link to the powder http://forrestpaint.com/uploads/imag...rightcc300.pdf

Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
Cause it looks nice, and to keep smoke out of my face :) getting good air flow so no reason to change it.
You may need to put a blinking red light on top so the FAA doesn't complain though. J/K

Very nice looking pit. I bet it is a pleasure to use.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice looking Pit!! You got more patience than me. To answer the Warming box ? It's do able you will need to vent excess heat VIA an additional stack and opening with a Damper to the main Chamber so if you want it hotter you close down on the damper.
Here is a good visual from a build a friend did he forgot more than I'll ever know.http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18210