MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

Default please rate my boxes

I will post the scores after some review. Overall was pretty good but lower apperance scores than I would like.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

While I am certified to judge I have only judged a few times since I'm normally cooking so here are my scores and advice on what has helped me..... You'll get some better judges than I to help you out here. Thanks for sharing.

The chicken box is a little further away from the camera, but I'd raise that meat on top of the parsley as it is sitting down. Also the sauce looks a little gloopy. But I like the size of the pieces. Looks like good trimming. 7 or 8

Ribs look to have a sauce issue as well as it again looks uneven and a little thick in some place while looking not applied or dry in others. Box is again a little further away. 7

You pork arrangement looks good to me, but going back to saucing here it looks like it was put on after it was place in the box. Toss the meat in sauce then stick it in there. But the size of meat looks good to me. Might try and get some money muscle in there or even larger chunks. 8

Brisket is sitting a little low in the garnish. Get it on top as that has seemed to really help me. There seem to be some specs of rub or bark on the front of the slices which can annoy the judges so I'd try and brush those off. Also when putting the slices in there try to lay them on top of each other so they are all the same distance down from each other. 7

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

All of the meat except the ribs is sitting too far down in the box so the garnish is hiding the meat.

Chicken looks good, but maybe a little dark. I'd give it a 7

Ribs look very rough on the surface, like blobs of sauce or something. The ribs always look better when the ones next to each other come from the same rack. This isn't always possible, but it looks better. This one is a 6

Pork... I agree with Fnbish on the sauce. Also, some bark pieces will make the pile more attractive. Probably a 7.

Brisket... Clean up the front slice and get rid of all the spots. The arrangement is OK but the slices could have been more even. The bark looks light in color but that could be the pic. Another 7.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

7 7 8/7 and 7/6

Ron hit it with garnish; too much; covering meat. Honestly they're right at the point where there is more garnish than meat in the box; reverse the trend.

Chicken dark; Ribs gloppy, Pork not bad but would be better with larger pulled pieces (they'll hold moisture better too) and more meat, Brisket the dots of stuff on the first piece is distracting and garnish a go go and ends not cleaned up and an over-all pale color.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Chicken - dark and gloppy sauce - first 2 pieces are buried in the garnish - doesn't say "eat me" - 6

Ribs - dark and splotchy dry looking sauce - do not want - 5

Pork, long strings not appetizing, uneven sauce - looks like a stingy take out order - 5/6

Brisket - nice slices maybe a tad dry looking - particulate on first slice is off putting - 6/7
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Id say for all of your boxes the garnish needs to be tidied up and more uniform.

Chicken – I can’t really tell because they are too far away but it appears the middle ones are hanging over the front ones. Uniform sizes and placement. 7

Ribs – The ribs need to be trimmed on top so they appear smooth and uniform. Id get a little separation between the ribs. Less sauce. 7

Pork – Id want to see some chunks with bark and money muscle. 7

Brisket – Sorry does not look appetizing at all. Looks dry and messy. Trim up those pieces and make them uniform. 5/6
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgNationBBQ View Post
Id say for all of your boxes the garnish needs to be tidied up and more uniform.

Chicken – I can’t really tell because they are too far away but it appears the middle ones are hanging over the front ones. Uniform sizes and placement. 7

Ribs – The ribs need to be trimmed on top so they appear smooth and uniform. Id get a little separation between the ribs. Less sauce. 7

Pork – Id want to see some chunks with bark and money muscle. 7

Brisket – Sorry does not look appetizing at all. Looks dry and messy. Trim up those pieces and make them uniform. 5/6

Would you score down because of what is not in the box? (bark and money muscle)

Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

ck 8,8,7,8,6,7
RI 8,7,8,7,7,9
PK 8,8,7,7,8,7
BR 9,8,7,7,6,6

The brisket was extremely dry and over cooked. I soaked it in au ju' and re-seasoned, (maybe what the specs are). Really had to hunt to get enough slices to put in the box! flavor was excellent, rubs and au ju' complimented each other nicly.

Pork was a little over cooked as well. The money muscle would not stay togather in a slice form (had to skip it since it wouldnt hold). There was also a power outage while i was doing the prep and I put a ton of cracked black pepper on so the bark was very "hot" (reason for not putting it in). The pulled was tossed in my sauce, which had such an amazing taste I added a little after boxing it (bad call maybe?).

Ribs had good tenderness and taste but have to agree with what was said about the garnish and sauce.

Chicken had good trimming and were quite uniform. I forgot my scissors so was a little bummed when selecting samples for the judges. the picture does not do any justice to the color.

placement, Chicken 30th, ribs 17th, pork 8th, brisket 6th (worst brisky I ever cooked!) over all finish 14th out of 33.

I think I could be a lot better with my full team (only half atteneded 2 of 4), improve on garnish, imporve saucing methods and less to drink on Saturday night! Thanks for the feed back

Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestacks View Post
Would you score down because of what is not in the box? (bark and money muscle)
No I would not score down if something was not included in the box and would judge the box as presented. But as a suggestion, I would add the bark and MM to increase future scores. To me, that pork box as presented is a 7, on a good day.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Pretty much 7 boxes across the board.

It could be the lighting/color balance of your photos, but frankly none of these food pictures are very appealing - kind of reminiscent of the old faded menu board pics they used to have at a KMart cafeteria.

My guess is a better camera could improve the reaction from Internet posters after the fact, but it won't do anything for the judges at the contest of course.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
AZScott
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestacks View Post
ck 8,8,7,8,6,7
RI 8,7,8,7,7,9
PK 8,8,7,7,8,7
BR 9,8,7,7,6,6
That's about what I'd expect. Focus on the pretty. If your sauce is chunky as it is on the chicken and ribs it won't score as well. In both of those boxes raise the meat to present them better.

The pork is stringy and that has a tendency to get and look dry.

The brisket should be presented fat down and make sure you don't have all of those black chunks on the face of the slices. I also know judges shouldn't judge on it but figure out a way to get a smoke ring pronto.

I hope some of that helps.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Pretty much 7 boxes across the board.

It could be the lighting/color balance of your photos, but frankly none of these food pictures are very appealing - kind of reminiscent of the old faded menu board pics they used to have at a KMart cafeteria.

My guess is a better camera could improve the reaction from Internet posters after the fact, but it won't do anything for the judges at the contest of course.

You are correct, chitty cell phone pics. Really the boxes looked a meat looked a lot better then the camera shows excepththe briskes, cant hide uguly....lol