• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Contest Announcment Grillin' on the Bay: 3/24/12 Brooklyn, NY

backyardchef

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Your favorite NEBS sanctioned NYC schoolyard grill-off is back and better than ever! Come on back to Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn for Grillin' on the Bay and the People's Choice Chili Smackdown!

Categories: Vegetable, Chicken Wings, Pork Ribs, Chef's Choice (anything But) and this year marks the introduction of the Nancee Gell Memorial Award (a tremendous way to honor our recently passed friend, winner of the 1st Grillin' on the Bay): Anything you want to make as long as it incudes Crab.

Sponsored by RUB BBQ and Sheepshead Bites

All the information is or will be fully available on the Grillin' on the Bay Site

I will most likely be there again. The website is incorrect, its no longer NYC only bbq contest

I am thinking about doing this... seems like a good way to get my feet wet with competition (even though I prefer KCBS to NEBS). Couple of questions:

1. The vegetable category is a single veggie right? Not a mix?
2. In order to qualify for RGC and GC contestants must take part in all 4 categories plus the Nancee Gell category or just the NEBS categories? I am confused by the rules.

I have no allusions that I will even be remotely close to RGC or GC, just curious about how the rules work.

I am thinking about doing this... seems like a good way to get my feet wet with competition (even though I prefer KCBS to NEBS). Couple of questions:

1. The vegetable category is a single veggie right? Not a mix?
2. In order to qualify for RGC and GC contestants must take part in all 4 categories plus the Nancee Gell category or just the NEBS categories? I am confused by the rules.

I have no allusions that I will even be remotely close to RGC or GC, just curious about how the rules work.

I know in the past when we had an extra Iron Chef category a couple years ago only the primary four counted. Iron Chef was counted separately from GC and RGC.

I think this is a fantastic contest to gain some experience and confidence as well as just a super-fun day with friends in a laid back atmosphere. Just the main 4 categories count towards the GC/RGC....

So, three men and a babyback, Smoke in Da Eye, Purple Pork Masters, who else is planning to come?

I just sent an email to rally some wingmen.

question regarding the wings: is this KCBS flavor profile or is it anything goes as far as sauce/favor.

question regarding the chili people's choice: Having never done a people's choice chili, how much chili should one cook? and do you serve it in the 1oz cups? garnish/sides?

This will be our 3rd year, an excellent comp to shake off the winter cob-webs. The beer helps as well. Also a great venue to be cooking in Nancee Gell's honor.

Hey there--

Any flavor profile you want-- it is not a kcbs event and judges are a mix of mostly cbjs and others....it is a diverse group, nonetheless.

You need 2 gallons of chili-- they serve it. Garnish and sides are optional and up to you.

I just sent an email to rally some wingmen.

question regarding the wings: is this KCBS flavor profile or is it anything goes as far as sauce/favor.

question regarding the chili people's choice: Having never done a people's choice chili, how much chili should one cook? and do you serve it in the 1oz cups? garnish/sides?

Back