MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Rib Pron: Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy Ribs

Thought I'd give Harry Soo's rib recipe from his web site a try, found here: http://slapyodaddybbq.com/Recipes.html.
I'm pretty much following it to the letter except for the foil time. 90 minutes in foil is just too long for my tastes, so I'm going to shorten the foil time to 60 minutes. Here is his all purpose rub recipe, which I have doubled:
1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup each of white sugar, brown sugar, paprika and chili powder. 2 TBSP each of cumin, granulated garlic and black pepper, 1 tsp of cayenne.

Trying the pre-cut St.Louis ribs from RD instead of trimming the spares myself. First time using these, I usually buy the spares at Costco.

WSM fuel: RO lump, 2 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of cherry.

My fuel: Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. Great beer, has a nice hop balance to the overwhelming amount of malt. Served up in my Falcon victory glass; we squeezed out a close one today.

Per his recipe, I removed membrane, added rub and let sit in the fridge for an hour before putting them on the smoker. Shooting for a smoker temp of 275 for the entire cook. Spritzing every 30 minutes with apple juice.

After two hours, applied a layer of brown sugar and drizzled honey on each side. Added 1/4 cup apple juice, wrapped, and then back in the smoker (bone side up) for an hour.

Unwrapped and back on the smoker till done. Total time was about 4 hours, but that includes wrapping and unwrapping.

Once they passed the bend and toothpick test, sauced and back on for a quick 10 minutes. Sauce is a mixture of Blue's Hog original and red, plus a little of the imperial stout.

All done.

Served up with some green bean and tomato casserole.

Final verdict: I thought they were pretty darn good, just a tad on the sweet side. The sweetness was probably more a result of the Blue's Hog, as I didn't cut it with as much red as I usually do. I was also afraid of the amount of cumin in the rub, but although the rub had a strong cumin smell, it mellowed a bunch during the cook. I'd also use granulated brown sugar next time, as it was hard to get an even layer using regular brown sugar. I'd give the ribs an 8 out of 10. Had a lot of fun cooking them though!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Last edited by Saiko; 10-03-2010 at 06:26 PM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Happy Highwayman
Knows what a fatty is.

Holy crap those look good
Happy Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Outstanding! Nice job, bro!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

looks great Mark !!!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice job Mark, those look great. Think I should try this rub. Isn't it Harry Soo?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Those look ribsational...
Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Nice job Mark, those look great. Think I should try this rub. Isn't it Harry Soo?
Woops! My dad's name is Henry, must have had some sort of Freudian slip. It's fixed now, thanks for letting me know.
I liked the rub, as I said I was a little worried about the amount of cumin but it mellowed quite a bit during the cook. The sauce I used was too sweet, I should have cut the Blue's Hog with a ton more of the Tennesee Red, it would have been a nice balance to the honey and brown sugar. I'll know next time. I blame the wifey though, she always complains when there is too much Tennesee Red since it has a cayenne and vinegar bite.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice Racks! Good choice of beer also.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have seen the St Louis cuts at RD but usually the $/lb is so much higher than regular spares so I pass. Do you happen to remember the cost difference in your area and do you think its worth the extra cost? Good looking ribs by the way.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I have seen the St Louis cuts at RD but usually the $/lb is so much higher than regular spares so I pass. Do you happen to remember the cost difference in your area and do you think its worth the extra cost?
The St. Louis cut were $2.89 a pound, which puts them into the BB range. I knew I would be cooking these on Falcon Sunday, so I just didn't want to deal with the trimmings when I could be watching football. These still had the skirt though, plus I trimmed the smallests ribs from each rack, so even though they were pre-cut I had some trimmings I could have smoked along with the ribs.

I can't remember how much the spares are at RD, I think they are around $1.99 a pound, so you do get much more bang for the buck by trimming spares. I was just lazy today.
Twenty bucks for 3 racks still isn't horrible though IMO.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

They sure look better than 8 of 10 from here!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

Those ribs look perfect

Old 10-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

Where do you get Blues Hog in the Kennesaw area. I live in the Cloumbus,Ga area and have been unable to find it,

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ View Post
Where do you get Blues Hog in the Kennesaw area. I live in the Cloumbus,Ga area and have been unable to find it,
I am actually in that area occasionally and could stop and get some.

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ View Post
I bite the bullet and pay for shipping and get it via mail order by the gallon. I bought mine at the Kansas City BBQ store, although now Great Lakes BBQ Supply (run by a Brethren) has it by the gallon.

Great Lakes BBQ Supply:
http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/c...6?categoryId=3

Kansas City BBQ Store:
http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com...07cf36aa5e1aaa