MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
jsn1511
On the road to being a farker

Default first boston butt

Im going to try my hand at smoking a boston butt tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a good thread or give me some advice in this thread. I would do the searching myself but i am using someone elses AOL minutes and i would hate to spend all of thier minutes. Thanks!
jsn1511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Take to 165 wrap to 190 or 200 cooler. Pull at 165 or so pull. Use what rub you like and bury a couple cloves of Garlic in the meat.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdbbq
Take to 165 wrap to 190 or 200 cooler. Pull at 165 or so pull. Use what rub you like and bury a couple cloves of Garlic in the meat.
Brian's a gasser, don't listen to him..........

Loose the cloves of garlic and use wood and charcoal..............

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

BRO,

Take a look here:
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...ewtopic&t=2695

Lots of info that may help.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
brdbbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdbbq
Brian's a gasser, don't listen to him..........

Loose the cloves of garlic and use wood and charcoal..............
Excuse me used Garlic in my old bullet smoker.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
jsn1511

thanks guys i really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. im not working at my job anymore so now i have to use my girlfriends brother's account to get on the internet. And i don't want him to get mad at me for using all of his minutes. we're getting dsl in about a week, so that will allow me to get back on like i used to. thanks again.
jsn1511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Heya neighbor! In case you forgot, I live right around the corner from you in Kennesaw, Georgia.
As far as Boston Butts, I do pretty much what everybody else does. I keep on the smoke until I'm sick of tending a fire (8 to 9 hours or so), then wrap and finish in the oven till I hit 190 or 200. This give me time to shower and nap after all the beer I drank while tending the fire. After the oven I wrap them in a towel and put them in a cooler for an hour or two, then pull. Make sure you mix in a little vinager finishing sauce to sweeten the pork (I use a combo of cider vinager, brown sugar, salt and crushed red pepper).
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #8
tommykendall

I'm not pinning anything on anyone in particular but I've been seeing a lot of this "finish off in the oven" stuff. We getting old or is this an unwritten unconfessed trick?

Old 12-23-2004, 03:41 AM   #9
Neil

Looks to me more like an open confession. Say three Hail Mary's and three Our Fathers for absolution.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2004, 07:14 AM   #10
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall
I'm not pinning anything on anyone in particular but I've been seeing a lot of this "finish off in the oven" stuff. We getting old or is this an unwritten unconfessed trick?
I think this comment comes more from what cooker you're using and possibly the weather conditions. Jumping up every 30-45 minutes to check the temps on a 'dera just simply wears your a$$ out, especially if your 50. Something more user friendly like a WSM or a double insulated cooker allows you to relax more.

Here's an example:

Two weeks ago, I had some customer orders for 2 briskets, a pork butt, and 4 slabs of baby backs. I check the weather and see that the wind is going to change directions and a cold front is moving in. First thought, call the Bellys and see if I can use the Blue Goose. No go, the door gasket has worked loose and is in the shop. So I gotta use the 'dera.
I put the 2 briskets in at 9PM and the butt at 10:30. Pretty good night going until 5AM, when the cold front moves in. OMG! Constant 15 mph winds from the north, no shelter for the 'dera, and I'm using fuel like you wouldn't believe. I send the wife to the store for more charcoal, knowing I was going to need lump with the temp change. None to be found.
To make a long story shorter, after 18 hours and close to 60 lbs of charcoal used, we simply couldn't take anymore. I'm very fortunate to have a wife that likes Q'n as much as I do. This time, we both threw in the towel and moved to stuff to the oven!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2004, 07:17 AM   #11
BellyBrotherII

I think this comment comes more from what cooker you're using and possibly the weather conditions. Jumping up every 30-45 minutes to check the temps on a 'dera just simply wears your a$$ out, especially if your 50. Something more user friendly like a WSM or a double insulated cooker allows you to relax more.

[b]Rascal Dera Mod
Belly Brothers BBQ Team
(MOFO Chapter)
Custom Push Behind Grill / Custom Push Behind Spicewine Smoker.

*When in doubt smoke it*
BellyBrotherII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2004, 07:28 AM   #12
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm agree with Solidkick big time, especially if you are using a wood fire. Due to the small firebox, you are constantly making adjustments to a fire, sometimes as often as every 10-15 minutes. This really starts to wear on you as the day goes on. It's not like using a WSM or Big Green Egg, where hours can go by without making an adjumstment.
My cut off is usually around 8 or 9 hours, by then I'm tired of tending a fire, and need some more time to nap, shower, prep other food, etc.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2004, 07:40 AM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I'm guilty
Other than competetion, I finish it all off in the oven once the meat is foiled.

It is just heat and the oven does a great job of making heat with no fuss

Also, I can use stable and low heat (maybe 200-210) and get a nice slow finish cook on the roast type cuts. TENDER to die for!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2004, 08:30 AM   #14
ckkphoto

I still do it the hard way, unless something comes up and I have to leave.
I would rather finish the last four HOURS in the oven than let my wife watch the fire for thirty minutes. Not that I don't trust her, but she doesn't like to cook and she isn't "firewood" inclined so the few times I have had to hand off, I came back to burnt food or a cold smoker.

All that said, I just like 100% smoke. Probably doesn't make much difference, though so anyone who wanted to bring it in halfway through a cook is just making their life easier.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:22 PM   #15
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

I almost always finish in the oven when doing a brisket or butt for consumption in the home. You can save on fuel and tme tending the already fuel-hog of a dera if you do use the oven!

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote