MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Prep Gloves

Hi,

How many teams use gloves when prepping food and then again when prepping turn-in boxes?

I thought that it was pretty much SOP until I saw Notley Que on Pitmasters up to his wrist in pulled pork without gloves. Sorta gross.

Am I just used to exceptionally clean teams and most cooks don't use gloves or was that an anomaly?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll just say that "using gloves does not automatically mean clean and sanitary". The inverse is also true.

(We use them pretty much all the time - gets darn pricey!)
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

It's a requirement in the FBA.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Meat@Slim's
Full Fledged Farker

We use them on both ends. We fly through them on turn in.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Most probably have the best intentions and gloves get used with the majoriy of teams for the majority of the time, but it's clearly not 100% sanitary. Too much time goes by for exceptions, lapses in judgement or indifference to happen even with some of the most veteran cooks.

I'm sure sampling sauces off a spoon that they continue to stir with happens as well, or teams not washing hands after using a porta potty that does not have hand sanitizer dispenser in it etc.

on the flip side, for some it's more often about keeping their hands clean rather than being concerned about food safety and spreading of germs.

So who wants to judge now ????
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 02-03-2010 at 08:43 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

We cringe when we watch food shows and we see food handled by bare hands. Bourdain in foreign countries is understandable (that's why you bring pepto on trips) but for US-based contests and restaurants, it's just wrong.

In the USA: EVERYONE KNOWS BETTER and so I put it up to laziness and a lack of consideration for their fellow man. I know restaurants can be a nightmare but some are not.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Simply put, anything (Hands, cutting board, knifes, etc.) need to clean and sanitized acording to Health Department (HD) regulations. If you have ever been at a compatition, most Teams do not have hot water. I definetly think a DQ should happen if the basics of Food Handling is not followed.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

Eric, you mentioned the pitmasters program. My wife just freaks out when she sees them doing all the prepping and such with no gloves. Did anyone happen to notice the "gourmet chef" Paul cooking his ribs up and everytime he moved them around on the smoker the first place his fingers would go to is right in his mouth? Real class act there.
We go though a case of disposable gloves a season.
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Let's not be to harsh on Notley. I've cooked plenty of times with him and he's always used gloves. Keep in mind that this "reality show" isn't always about reality. There are plenty of retakes and such where continuity is overlooked.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
mgwerks
Full Fledged Farker

Nitrile gloves, prep to serve.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
JohnJ
On the road to being a farker

Working around food service and in watching food handlers both on TV (BBQ Pitmasters, Food Network shows, etc.), and at work, gloves... why even wear them? I see people with gloves on pick their nose and continue to work with their food and other stuff that just negates the use of gloves. If you're going to use them for sanitary reasons, keep in mind that once you clean the toilet, you oughta change your gloves!

If your hands are washed and clean, fingernails trimmed and clean underneath, you are probably just as sanitary as a person wearing a brand new pair of gloves. But you have to clean your hands or replace your gloves once you leave that "sterile field".

Just my 2 cents from what I have personally observed.

John
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
It's a requirement in the FBA.
yep... NEBS too.
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
Working around food service and in watching food handlers both on TV (BBQ Pitmasters, Food Network shows, etc.), and at work, gloves... why even wear them? I see people with gloves on pick their nose and continue to work with their food and other stuff that just negates the use of gloves. If you're going to use them for sanitary reasons, keep in mind that once you clean the toilet, you oughta change your gloves!

If your hands are washed and clean, fingernails trimmed and clean underneath, you are probably just as sanitary as a person wearing a brand new pair of gloves. But you have to clean your hands or replace your gloves once you leave that "sterile field".

Just my 2 cents from what I have personally observed.

John
How very true. I like watching the guy put the gloves on, then open the door, grab the food,then grab a knife to open the package then...you get the idea.
Gloves are to be used on the task at hand, not for everyday actions.
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Gloves are not required for food handling by health departments except in rare cases, but frequent hand washing is always required, even when wearing gloves. Many kitchen managers believe that gloves are often the CAUSE of contamination, because when wearing them your hands don't feel dirty so people tend to not change them when they would rewash their hands.

Clean hands are no more of a health risk than gloves. If you look in most restaurants and your own home you will see people preparing food without gloves more often than not. Everyone in the food service business understands this, but for some reason a segment of the population has become fixated on the idea that gloves = safe when nothing could be further from the truth.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Gloves are not required for food handling by health departments except in rare cases, but frequent hand washing is always required, even when wearing gloves. Many kitchen managers believe that gloves are often the CAUSE of contamination, because when wearing them your hands don't feel dirty so people tend to not change them when they would rewash their hands.

Clean hands are no more of a health risk than gloves. If you look in most restaurants and your own home you will see people preparing food without gloves more often than not. Everyone in the food service business understands this, but for some reason a segment of the population has become fixated on the idea that gloves = safe when nothing could be further from the truth.
The sad thing is that most folks in direct-contact with food in food service are from the third world (God bless them but they are from another midset/culture) and I have worked with them for years. They usually do not understand (or care about) basic health and safety best practices or the reasons behind them. We need to have better education and enforcement for all involved.

It would be nice if hand washing was done at regular intervals but it is not. Glove management keeps hygiene top of mind for everyone in the kitchen. It's sad but if they are aware of glove use, they tend to keep hygiene top of mind (in a way).
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote