MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default Mail Orders

Do any of you do this? Ive had customers ask if we can ship brisket Ribs ETC, and I know individuals do this. I checked Fed-Ex website and their requirments.
If your doing this how do you package? Do you use dry ice or freeze the product and next day it in an insulated container? Is this cost effective or do you make a decent profit from this?
If I can figure this our and its worth my time I'll offer it and put it together. Just looking for some inside insight on this subject.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
huckjr
On the road to being a farker

I've looked into doing something like this in the past. Yes, you'll need to get dry ice and pack in one of those styrofoam shipping coolers. The only thing about those coolers is that I've yet to find one that is cheap----then of course that makes your product very expensive. BTW, I was exploring this with Thanksgiving Turkeys.
huckjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Maybe I can help from the personal side, to the business side.

Take a container, lets say 6"x6" (baking dish?) and add 1" water.

Put in freezer

Once frozen, remove from pan.

Place in cryosuck bag.

Suck

You now have a 6"x6" shipping block of ice, not dry ice, that can be used in a styro created box (line a box with styro, nothing fancy) and you have a solid 2 days shipping at least (3-4 in the winter depending on destination) with pre-freezing product.

On the personal side, I ship stuff like this year round, and always arrives frozen in the winter, partial forzen in the summer.

Good luck!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
huckjr
On the road to being a farker

Wilkat98, can you please share with us your source for containers? Are they online?
huckjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahorse View Post
Wilkat98, can you please share with us your source for containers? Are they online?
I used to work for Uline Shipping Supplies (Uline.com) and they have a number of options... the one that I saw that I think might work was a 9.25x9.25x7 cooler box for $17 per if you buy 5 or more (http://www.uline.com/Product/Product...?model=S-12682)....

I used to ship briskets in the cooler boxes to NASCAR... Yes there is a cost but if you explain to the customer this up front, I think they would have less of a problem than if it was a surprize...

Just a hint, when I used to ship it I would try to fit as much as I could into a box... We took the temp one time after two days travel, it started at -20* and two days later it was a whole -5* (and that was in the summer)... Now the cooler box was full but we got to the point where we would use standard shipping rather than 2nd or even next day air....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote