MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default The Weber Smokey Mountain Appreciation Thread

I love my 22.5" WSM.

I have been BBQing for about twenty five years. For the first twenty years I used a Weber 22" Kettle exclusively. When I moved to Washington state, four years ago, I bought a Weber gasser. Two years ago I discovered the WSM and I have been hooked on it ever since.

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 04-15-2011 at 12:32 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I've smoked for years on a Brinkmann offset. Inefficient fuel hog but turned out great Q once I learned. (still learning) Last year I decided that I wanted a WSM. However the price of the 22 was a bit high for me, $400. Well back in early February I was outbid on ebay for one at about 300 or so. Well angry and determined I searched craigslist with no success, mind you for the year before I searched CL and never found one. Well I came across the Sears ad, and at $320 I couldn't resist and got it. The funny thing is about a week or so later, an 18" came up on CL, scored it too. Best investments I've ever made!

Sorry for rambling.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Congrats on your new toy!

There are dozens of threadson the WSM here. Use the Google search near the bottom of the page and you'll find a bunch of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with ya Michael!! The WSM is one sweet machine!! Ribs and chicken on the 18 today (I'm really liking the little guy).

Here's a pic:

And a thread (building the two newest with Katie):
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...wsm+build+dayd

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManBBQ View Post
I'm with ya Michael!! The WSM is one sweet machine!! Ribs and chicken on the 18 today (I'm really liking the little guy).

Here's a pic:

And a thread (building the two newest with Katie):
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...wsm+build+dayd

Sweet setup, Chris! You have come a long way.

Good luck this year on the BBQ trail.

Post pics of that yardbird.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
I've smoked for years on a Brinkmann offset. Inefficient fuel hog but turned out great Q once I learned. (still learning) Last year I decided that I wanted a WSM. However the price of the 22 was a bit high for me, $400. Well back in early February I was outbid on ebay for one at about 300 or so. Well angry and determined I searched craigslist with no success, mind you for the year before I searched CL and never found one. Well I came across the Sears ad, and at $320 I couldn't resist and got it. The funny thing is about a week or so later, an 18" came up on CL, scored it too. Best investments I've ever made!

Sorry for rambling.
Ramble on...

Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Love the WSM. I've only got experience with the 18.5", but they are great all around smokers. Great idea on starting this thread!

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Sweet setup, Chris! You have come a long way.

Good luck this year on the BBQ trail.

Post pics of that yardbird.
Thanks bro!! Seems a long time since cooking class together!!

More excited about the ribs tonight...have some pics...will have to see how they turn out. I've been really happy with how ribs turn out on the 22...first time using the 18 (now if this farking rain will stop for a few minutes!!).
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

I started off on a Brinkman Cimmaron offset. Like posted above, once you got the hang of it it made some outstanding Q. I once had two butts take 23.5 hours on that thing, and they may have been the best butts I ever cooked.
Since scoring the Worlds Oldest WSM (R) at a neighbors garage sale for $10, I have been hooked on the WSM, and have turned guys all over Southern Wisconsin onto them.
I compete on 4 of them. (And considering I compete once a year, I have competed well).
I cook for church on them.
I cook for the hell of it on them.
Simply the best pit value dollar for dollar IMO.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I started off on a Brinkman Cimmaron offset. Like posted above, once you got the hang of it it made some outstanding Q. I once had two butts take 23.5 hours on that thing, and they may have been the best butts I ever cooked.
Since scoring the Worlds Oldest WSM (R) at a neighbors garage sale for $10, I have been hooked on the WSM, and have turned guys all over Southern Wisconsin onto them.
I compete on 4 of them. (And considering I compete once a year, I have competed well).
I cook for church on them.
I cook for the hell of it on them.
Simply the best pit value dollar for dollar IMO.
Wow, 5 WSM's! Thanks for posting, Clark. Got any pics of those beauties?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Anyone know the persons that have the blue and red WSM? I've never seen them post their WSM's on any boards. I want to know how their coatings have held up. One was powder coated, the other porcelain enameled.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

These are my first two.
The one on the left is the worlds oldest documented WSM. It has a B date code. I have since retired it as some of the porcelain on the inside of the charcoal bowl started to bubble and chip.
The other one I bought in Appleton, WI (90 mile drive during a blizzard) for $80.
The device you see is my custom lid hanger. It's made from garage door opener track, gas pipe, and an electric fence post. (If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy).
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
NorthwestBBQ

22.5" WSM + Cajun Bandit adapter ring + Rib-O-Lator + 56 Chicken wings =

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 04-15-2011 at 12:36 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Anyone know the persons that have the blue and red WSM? I've never seen them post their WSM's on any boards. I want to know how their coatings have held up. One was powder coated, the other porcelain enameled.

Here's some info about the red one in case you hadn't seen it.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:

Awesome looking WSM's. That's what I'm talking about!