UDS ribs gone BAD ! What the fark happened ??

fttom

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did a rack of spares on the UDS. It was rock solid at 225 for 3 hours. I opened the lid and this is basically what I found. I did throw some sauce on them and wrap for a little longer to TRY and save, but really has anybody seen this before ??????
They looked like this physically, before I sauced and wrapped. :doh:

phone 010.jpg

phone 011.jpg

c'mon man! tell the truth, you drank to many beers and fell asleep on the job

No, I had not even had a beer yet (it was a long night, last night, LOL) This is exactly what they looked like in 3 1/2 hours at 225 (rock solid temp)

Okay, that's just not possible...so something is wrong.

What did you use to measure the temp?
Where was it located?

So, we need some more detail...

Was using the same thermometer that I have always had , on the side of UDS. It has always been right before. It is located right at the grate level on the smoker. I'm beginining to think it must have gone bad ????

Was using the same thermometer that I have always had , on the side of UDS. It has always been right before. It is located right at the grate level on the smoker. I'm beginining to think it must have gone bad ????

If a thermometer at the side of a UDS reads 225 degrees chances are it's really 275 or so at the center of the grate. This means you were smoking at 50 degrees or so higher than you thought. If the thermometer is off it could have been even higher.

You could have also had some crappy ribs.

Goi'n with Grail here on the diagnosis, either too hot or skinny ribs. The are definitely DONE. I too am sorry for your loss.

So are you guys saying that when you read the typical side thermo on the UDS, you figure about 50 degrees hotter in th center ??? Pic of mine attached.

Attachments

• Ebay 037.jpg
    Ebay 037.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 274
Do you use a diffuser? My side thermometer is usually hotter than the center of the grate area. I picked up a long thermometer today in the hopes that I will be able to get an accurate reading at the grate without using my Maverick.

BTW - Sorry about the ribs. I judged a comp today and there was a box of ribs that looked similar, believe it or not. Bad day at the office for that team, I guess.

All the drums I've built to date run about 30 degrees hotter in the center than the analog thermos on the side.

However, I'm in the process of perfecting a UDS diffuser.

31963541.jpg

My drums run right at 35 degrees hotter in the center of the grate and 25 degrees hotter around the outside. So what the other are saying is right. My therm is about the same set-up you have. Even at say, 275 degrees, they shouldn't have burned like that. The BBQ Joker must have visited sometime during that cook. Weird.

A combination of things: no turning, higher than optimum rib temp (200-225), and cooking direct. The first two things would be fine if it wasn't for the third thing, the cooking direct.

I'd think that the guy who designed the BDS would know something about cooking ribs on a drum direct, and I tried to use his tips when I built mine, and low and behold, they worked. I'll now duck the impending assualt of arguments and go back to my bama chicn cook. I need to check 'em anyway.

All the drums I've built to date run about 30 degrees hotter in the center than the analog thermos on the side.

However, I'm in the process of perfecting a UDS diffuser.

31963541.jpg

Nice! It looks like something off the starship Enterprise. :p

Back