Sauce Contest (how to turn in)

Balls Casten

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Those that enter sauce contests .. how do you turn it in? Not looking for any secrets just generally how it’s done.

Should this be in the contest rules? Do you provide a bowl?? use cups?? Turn in a bottle?

I'm curious as well. How is it evaluated? From a spoon, on a cracker?

What are the judging criteria? I've got the tenderness portion licked - it just melts in your mouth! ; )

I've seen them use plain pulled pork, spoons, crackers, toothpicks and I am sure i am forgetting some other way.

Sauce used to be a sanctioned category in GBA contests. The organizer supplied cups w/lids. Spoons were used only to dip the sauce from the cups. Unsalted crackers were available, but most judges simply used a finger.

Okay lets add to the discussion. Do you turn it in cold, room temp, or heat it up?

Okay lets add to the discussion. Do you turn it in cold, room temp, or heat it up?

We turn ours in warm...:cool: Most our turn-ins are in styrofoam cups that are provided at the same time as the boxes.

How much sauce should you make and does it have to be made there? I have my own sauce company and usually have it pre-made. I will be competing in Westmont as part of the sauce competition and it will be first time in that category during a competition.

-Porky Joe's BBQ
www.porkyjoesbbq.com

I dont know that I've ever seen a sauce contest where it had to be made there. Other than the temporary GBA sanctioning, they're not sanctioned and pretty much willy nilly (aka. anything goes). They'll give you some type of cup; sometimes it's just 4oz, other's it's a 12oz cup. Fill the cup about 80%, give or take.

I dont know that I've ever seen a sauce contest where it had to be made there.

The now defunct Norwalk KCBS event had an extra category for sauce in 2009. The sauce had to be made onsite.

IHave as CBQ stated. And our 2nd place State of Conn sauce was made on-site and placed in Styrofoam cup much like a Chili Company. I believe it was 2010, at least that's what the check said.

How much sauce should you make and does it have to be made there? I have my own sauce company and usually have it pre-made. I will be competing in Westmont as part of the sauce competition and it will be first time in that category during a competition.

-Porky Joe's BBQ
www.porkyjoesbbq.com

The head judge or event rep will let you know how much is required at the cooks meeting...usually they ask you to fill the container 1/2 to 3/4 full. We have not had to prep our sauce on-site...

Back