Smoked Hot Wings - Resurrecting an Old Thread

W

wheelterrapin

Best Smoked Wing Recipe - Ok gang I know this subject has been hashed out many times before but maybe someone has come up with something new that they have tried. I plan on smoking a couple of bags tomorrow and would like the input from everyone in regards to best method....i.e., brine or no brine, brine recipe, heat range for smoke, length of time on smoker at what heat range, rubs, glazes etc. I want something that has some heat but not so hot they cannot be eaten. Something in the heat range of the original KFC chrispy Hot Wings and I know all of you have eaten some of these at one time or another.

I have one recipe that one of the wives of one of the brethren sent me and I will be trying this one out but just wanted to see what else may be lurking out there that would be nice to try.

Paul

I know it's kinda forbidden on here, but here's my KFC Crunchy HOT wings, boneless chicken breast, sliced in thirds or fourths, marinate in Frank's Red Hot Sauce, then deep fry as normal, so so so good for sure!!!

Hope your wings came out good, didn't see this til today. I brine mine in Kozmos chicken soak, smoked them for a couple of hours, until they are not greasy any more and then use put them in a pan and smother with Franks wing sauce and a little bit of honey. Cover and let them steam for a few minutes.

Smokem Till there done. Then Some BBQ Sauce (Swwet Baby Rays here) and Sichara sauce to taste. While soaking open the vents then puttem back on and crispem up!

Chick_Wing1.jpg

I like to marinate my wings overnight in Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing. I then put my chicken rub on them. They usually smoke for about an hour and a half at about 220 degrees with apple and pecan. I then make a glaze out of Big Bob Gibson Red BBQ and add some of Cajohn's Firehouse Hot Sauce for heat. I put the glaze in a squeeze bottle and drizzle over them.

I did some for my kids. Just Stubb's BBQ rub, smoke til done, then toss in some BBQ sauce. I used Famous Dave's sauce. Rich and sassy for mild. Devil's Spit for hot. My son, who "wasn't feeling so good" ate about a pound of them himself...

They had a nice salty, smokey, spicey flavor that even The Missus, a true "That Taco Bell food is too spicey for me" Minnesotan, enjoyed. A couple of comments about "these are hot" while she was plowing through them, but...

Back