• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Shrimp anyone?

Qczar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I`ve been bouncing around an idea in my head for some time now to Q shrimp. I just got them injected (in the shell) and marinating now for tomorrow`s burn. They`re size 12 shrimp. I`m thinking of keeping them high in the Bandera for lower temps and more smoke. Temps should be around 200º. I`m guessing an hour or so to cook`em?

Anyone with experiance in this?

What did you inject them with? Marinate?
I've never smoked shrimp, but I grill them all the time.

I wouldn't do it.

Bash I story about the shrimp is a classic.

Shrimp are all lean - they cook fast and get terribly tough if overcooked. Even boild or steamed they'll go rubbery on you in a hurry.

I grill them.

Speaking of shrimp: I think a small shrimp boil is in order for tonight. A little Old Bay, some potatoes, perhaps an onio, some corn, and the guests of honor!

Bash 1 archive was lost on Yahoo.

Only snippets left. Here's one from TK

Date: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:22 am
Subject: Re: [Bandera-Brethren] Baked Beans tommy_kendall

I'm so frigging hungry right now after talks of
grinders and Portillos that everything sounds
wonderful - even smoked shrimp bombs.

tk

I'll wait for Phil to post the recipe, but it had crab meat stuffed in there with bacon and more. Tasted like smoked chit. so we put it on the grill to crisp it up a bit. now it was crispy chit. Then we smothered in Blues Hog, that was the birth of the bash bite on the front page: "Raspberry Cumin Chit"

I marinate a 32oz bag for 2 hours in butter, soy sauce, teriyaki and honey (melted together then cooled) then smoke for 1 hour at 225 (my wife never eats shrimp but she loves these)

All Ill say is DONT!

Grill em.
absorb smoke like a sponge and your eating soot. If anything, go high temps and cookem fast. Will post good recipe later after work.

I agree with Phil, hot and fast, don't over cook them. We are talking almost no time at all on the grill.

I agree with Phil, hot and fast, don't over cook them. We are talking almost no time at all on the grill.

Over cooked shrimp suck (rubber mod). Cook them over some nice hot wood coals on the grill side of the 'dera. IMO you'll wreck some really nice shrimp in the smokebox.

heres a recipe. Courtesy Dave Klose.

Need big shrimps, chicken tenderloins, finely chopped crabmeat and some room temp bacon. Pound the tenderloins flat and very thin, cut them into pieces just big enuf to wrap a shrimp in.

marinade chicken and shrimp in red wine, coke, cayenne pepper, fresh garlic for about an hour.

split the shrimp up the back, not all the way thru, but enuf so you can stuff some crabmeat in it.

stuff the crabmeat in the back, wrap the chicken around the entire shrimp and wrap that in baccon.

skewer and grill brushing often with the marinade. (heat the marinade to kill the coodies).

Variation, a crabmeat stuffing of your choice. I also added some cheese just becase i didnt thing the caloric value was high enough. :twisted:

Grill them till the bacon is cooked, but be careful not to overcook the shrimp. Works well on a kettle with the lid closed, but cracked on the side so u still get high heat.

did this at bash I but smoked them instead of grilling. They sucked. Was like eating Kingsford. We tried rescuing them by grilling and covering them with sauce but then they tasted like grilled sauced sucky shrimp.

Have grilled and smoked shrimp before. Grill ...YES.....Smoke......FOR THE LOVE OF GOD......DON'T DO IT. Shrimp is too expensive to waste on the smoker.

nucleargeek said:
Have grilled and smoked shrimp before. Grill ...YES.....Smoke......FOR THE LOVE OF GOD......DON'T DO IT. Shrimp is too expensive to waste on the smoker.

I always thought thin, delicate cut/types of meat do not do well on smoker, but great for grill. Thicker {roasting type} meat thrives on smoker.

BBQchef33 said:
did this at bash II but smoked them for about 40 minutes. They sucked. We tried rescuing them by grilling and covering them with sauce but then they tasted like grilled sauced sucky shrimp.

Just to clarify, it was Bash 1, not 2.

And the proper bite was: Smells like an arm pit, tastes like dirt

no... I think it was...

Phil:These taste like POOPIE...
Colt:put some sauce (blues hog) on them... and put them on the grill
(at this point they have basically become giant masses of seafood/chicken/pork smoked for too long then soaked in a sauce that is best used lightly and then the sauce is cooked long enough to condence its flavors)
Phil: These still taste like POOPIE...
Colt: no problem phil... I can watch the fire while you go pick up TK/et all at the airport...
(that poor bag of kingsford never knew what hit it)

:)

I love those stories...

I have to agree with the grill guys. Shrimp is a piece of cake to grill, but a crap shoot to smoke. The shrimp will soak up plenty of smoke if you throw on some wood chips when you grill. Smoking them just seems unnecessary. IMHO

here's an idea for shrimp.....

use in your ABT filling ground up... the cheese should keep em from goin too rubbery..

use in your ABT filling ground up... the cheese should keep em from goin too rubbery..
kinda like crab rangoon filling in a jap!! Brilliant!!

kcquer said:

kinda like crab rangoon filling in a jap!! Brilliant!!

What do you put in your crap rangoon? Brian, be still.

Back