MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
NewEnglandQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default First Ever Turn in Boxes

I will soon be competing for the first time in a comp. I did a practice run and would love any feedback on these two turn in boxes.

Thanks

IMG00014-20100411-1516.jpg

IMG00016-20100411-1536.jpg
Traeger 075
Jenn Air Gasser
Grand Hall Smoker
Smith & Wesson Pellet Bullet
Fire Magic Built-in Charcoal Grill
NewEnglandQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

In both boxes the garnish is a little sloppy and takes away from the meat. Work on getting it more even in the box.

For the pork, I'd say it needs more chunks/pulled. Also, the sauce on the slices in the front looks too think. Also, the slices look thicker than normally seen. Try to slice the brisket so the slices are the thickness of a standard pencil.

The brisket looks like the slices were just tossed into the box. Trim them a bit so they aren't wider than the box and place them evenly and straight. You can probably get at least one more slice in there if you do ti neater.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Weiss Mountain Smoke
Got Wood.

i think that pork looks great but the box needs some work. the box looks a little empty and the pieces of bark look like they placed in at random. maybe try adding some pulled or chunked pork to fill out the space and so not all of the pork in the box are so "barky" ... not everyone loves bark.

the brisket box is not bad. i really like the look of that smoke ring. as Ron said, trim the slices so they fit better within the width of the box.

remember, taste and tenderness are most important!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I'd say pork add more chunks and brisket make the meat look even, kind of looks wavey,uneven. either way I'd eat it.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Try trimming the brisket to size before you cook it. That way you'll know it fits. Aside from the non-uniform sizes, I like the looks of it.

Definitely too much sauce on the pork. Judges want to see the meat.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

The brisket slices looks rather random, try to get them more symetrical. Slice (from front) 1, 2, 4 look like the thin end is on the left and 3, 5 look to the right, so the slices don't look like they're from the same briskets.

Not that I'd notice when I have just a few seconds for appearance, but the slices "looked" off when I first looked.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't tell for sure....is that the fat cap on the top edge of your brisket slices?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
NewEnglandQ
Full Fledged Farker

Great feedback everyone, thanks for your comments. I will try to incorporate into my next run.

thanks again
Traeger 075
Jenn Air Gasser
Grand Hall Smoker
Smith & Wesson Pellet Bullet
Fire Magic Built-in Charcoal Grill
NewEnglandQ is offline   Reply With Quote