MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #61
MilitantSquatter

what kind of wood, and how much,did you include with the charcoal ?

(you did have some wood in there right ???) just want to make sure the meds are not farking with you...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #62
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

yeah.... much pecan.... I think its Boshizzles Jizzle's fault... odd thing was.... there was a pale diffused ring THROUGH the fat and on the meat under that.... typically thats the area I never have a ring.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #63
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
typically thats the area I never have a ring.
You better get yourself checked..............Jus sayin'
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #64
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
You better get yourself checked..............Jus sayin'
Not a pink fat ring... but through the fat and lightly diffused under it.

Edict.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #65
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I never have trouble getting a smoke ring with my UDS (injection tracks are a flavor enhancer too) -

Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #66
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

I don't get much of a smoke ring on my barrel either. Especially for brisket.
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #67
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Gentlemen! If it had the smoke flavor you wanted who cares about a smoke ring?!?

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #68
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I never have trouble getting a smoke ring with my UDS (injection tracks are a flavor enhancer too) -

I added that Shizzle inspired paint of 3 parts molasses, one part soy, one part Ballistic (balsamic) vinegar.... ... I could see it in the meat at the end.... kind of that electric smoker look... brown.... I wonder if something in that made it chemically impossible to make the ring? I miss the days of 88 cent choice briskets when you could just go and buy a couple and find out. Grrrr. I know u used molasses..... just wondering.

Edict.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #69
Boshizzle

Here is a Blackhawk brisket cooked on my Keg which is basically an insulated UDS. Nice smoke ring. Doesn't look like it was cooked in an electric cooker to me.

So, it's possible to get a good smoke ring with the BH recipe. This is my latest BH brisket cooked on my Jambo. Nice smoke ring all around.

This is the first chunk of beef I cooked on my UDS. It had a very wide smoke ring.

I think you should look elsewhere for the problem. But, I know that if anyone can fix the problem you experienced this time, you are the man for that job.

So, fix it already!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #70
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Celery salt has natural nitrates...
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #71
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Jesus, its like I said "PBC Smokers suck."

The "electric cooker look" I referred to is MY brisket cook today, not your's.

Apparently you are VERY sensitive about your stuff. I am eliminating variables and no... I do not have to look elsewhere... I can, as you know, make one call on this bagphone and the three men with laser scopes parked outside your home at all hours will get out of their 87 Crown Vic and bust your door down, and rifle through your papers and documents at will and there is nothing, not a damn thing you can do about it!!!!!

Seriously, regarding the smoke ring I think it could have been the Balsamic Vinegar or soy??? neither of which you use nor I have never used on a brisket. I have used charcoal and pecan, know the temp of my brisket when it went in, the rub hasn't changed, I ALWAYS do a 200 degree two hour smoke to set the ring.... I just found it weird. It even could be those three things... all so dark together, that blocked the ring.

So no.... if you value your life... I won't look elsewhere and unless you help me figure this out Bo.... well... there is always the discipline of bullets and lasers to persuade you.

Ahhhh... I still got it!

I think the red tinge passed the fat cap was weird as I rarely get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Here is a Blackhawk brisket cooked on my Keg which is basically an insulated UDS. Nice smoke ring. Doesn't look like it was cooked in an electric cooker to me.

So, it's possible to get a good smoke ring with the BH recipe. This is my latest BH brisket cooked on my Jambo. Nice smoke ring all around.

This is the first chunk of beef I cooked on my UDS. It had a very wide smoke ring.

I think you should look elsewhere for the problem. But, I know that if anyone can fix the problem you experienced this time, you are the man for that job.

So, fix it already!

Edict.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #72
Boshizzle

I know, bro! That's what makes me so nervous! I have a wife and daughter at home these days. I can't be seen being frog marched out of the house in my underwear at 2am in the morning!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #73
Bludawg

I have experienced a Smoke ring similar to what you described cooking on the UDS, It was the only time I ever used KBB (it was all I could get) and pecan. L&S 220-225. using Lump I always get a ring.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #74
jmoney7269
Banned

Pour some TQ to it next time and quit cryin about the smoke ring!
Lol it's funny how people say that smoke ring don't matter, but when they don't got one, it's all "where is my smoke ring!" and when they got a good one it's all heavenly, so apparently the smoke ring does matter. Now if you can just convince them dang kcbs judges otherwise. Seemingly they teach people that smoke rings are bad
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #75
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Pour some TQ to it next time and quit cryin about the smoke ring!
Lol it's funny how people say that smoke ring don't matter, but when they don't got one, it's all "where is my smoke ring!" and when they got a good one it's all heavenly, so apparently the smoke ring does matter. Now if you can just convince them dang kcbs judges otherwise. Seemingly they teach people that smoke rings are bad

One...that picture about using the KBB and pecan is EXACTLY what I got. \

Two the quote above is my favorite quote of all time. Made me laugh cuz thats exactly how I feel. betrayed by my body and betrayed by the apparent loss of my BBQ mojo Voo Doo.

Its not like a pork butt, which as everyone knows,l I can pull out of cryovac, slap and the bone magically falls out.

for truefunk

Edict.