MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Weber Smokey Joe Stronger Leg Mod ?

Searched But couldnt find anything... Anyone Know Of , Done Or made a Stand or Stronger legs for the smokey joe ???
basically as a mini wsm they wobble a bit and i d like to make it stronger
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
wilhump
Got Wood.

I found this on another forum and am planning on doing this when i build mine next week.

wilhump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

You could basically just make duplicates of the stock SJ legs, out of stronger metal.

CD

Last edited by caseydog; 07-08-2012 at 04:49 PM..
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i also add a large ss washer between the leg and body.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

A couple stainless fender washers on each leg, gently re-shaped to match the contour of the Smokey Joe (one on the inside and one between the leg and bowl) really sturdies up the legs.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

One I build for a friend.
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

I saw a picture of one where they had added 3 more legs, evenly spaced. So it had 6. Looked pretty good. I was a little concerned with stability, but haven't had a problem. It's always on a level stable surface, and it's not getting moved much while in use. One thing I did notice is one of the legs tends to get a little cockeyed, making the smoker not sit level. I just check before I get it lit and straighten as necessary.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
You could basically just make duplicates of the stock SJ legs, out of stronger metal.

CD
My SJ has some seriously rusted-through legs. Hoping someone with experience in working metal can answer this. Would some thick zinc coated metal be ok to duplicate the legs? I thought about getting plain steel, but I'd like to keep the "shine" that the original legs should have. As usual, I appreciate your advice/opinions.... thanks!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
rg02
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhump View Post
I found this on another forum and am planning on doing this when i build mine next week.

Good find. Same principle I used for my legs on my brinkmann gourmet mods. I am planning on using aluminum flat stock an making new legs similar to these.

Thanks from:--->