• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Team of the Year Rankings

Heath Hall

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I noticed that BBQ Bug looks like it has shut down. This is where I always used to go for KCBS Team of the Year rankings beyond the 25 places they post on KCBS. Anyone know of a good place to find the full rankings list?

Thanks!

The rankings may still be going on, but it sounds like they are currently transitioning back to thepickledpig. That is originally where the power rankings were located, then Paul merged with bbqbug people.

The rankings may still be going on, but it sounds like they are currently transitioning back to thepickledpig. That is originally where the power rankings were located, then Paul merged with bbqbug people.

I thought I read that the rankings were not being brought back, or at least no plans right now.

That stinks. I've never understood why KCBS doesn't post full team rankings. Seems like something that would drive a lot more traffic to them.

I thought I read that the rankings were not being brought back, or at least no plans right now.

I went to find where I had read this. This is from the PickledPig forum. Let Paul know what you think I suppose:

pickledpig forum said:
3) The rankings, standings, event listings, widgets will be discontinued at this time. I appreciate everyone who has followed the site's rankings systems and used the widgets but will not be able to continue those features until a later date (if at all). Your feedback on these services is appreciated. I am going to be contemplating their current relevance and value as well as determining if I have the time resources required to service them.

That stinks. I've never understood why KCBS doesn't post full team rankings. Seems like something that would drive a lot more traffic to them.

I agree. I know they have the full team rankings for the last couple years but nothing for the current year other than the top 25.

I would imagine that keeping the stats updated just from the KCBS website information is quite a time consuming task. It would be nice if KCBS performed this service since they have all the information already.

The FBA has their rankings on their website and they are updated weekly.

I would imagine that keeping the stats updated just from the KCBS website information is quite a time consuming task. It would be nice if KCBS performed this service since they have all the information already.

Maybe track the GCs for the Jack and the Royal also

;0) I know I know just teasin

The FBA has their rankings on their website and they are updated weekly.

They also don't have over 5000 teams to keep track of... a little easier when its the same teams week after week.

They also don't have over 5000 teams to keep track of... a little easier when its the same teams week after week.

I'm not a smart guy, nor an FBA cooker but it would seem that formulas to calculate stuff are the same regardless of amount of participants?

KCBS has names and scores every week of those 5k cooks should the all compete. Can this not be slapped into a program that stack ranks by overall and meat?

And I'm asking, not suggesting or telling, so if there are folks who do this stuff for a living, sound off.

Last year I asked the very nice and friendly lady at KCBS what one of my rankings was and she responded right back with all of my rankings. It would seem to me that they have all the rankings on hand...likely fed into some sort of program that does the calculations based on the feeds from the reps. They would have to calculate for most teams to determine top 25. It would seem that the challenge here is getting the full results, which are presumably on hand already, loaded on to the website.

There may be technical reasons why this can't be done, but it sure would be nice to have it available.

Spelling of the team name is one of the draw backs. If they would, perchance, utilize a team number, then any idiot could write the program. JUST SAYING!!!!

I used to find myself going to the team history page all the time looking at my scores over the last couple of years and comparing how my category placement has went one way or the other. I need to find a tissue....:cry:

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
I use a fair amount of data bases at work and that is really all this is. If they get a KCBS numbering system per team along with a running calc it can be done quit easily. I would say force the event coordinators that want KCBS sanctioning to turn in a specific spreadsheet for consistency. Not hard just requires discipline.

licence the widgets from pickled pig, add a few pages to a website, whallaha, we're on the road to a resolution for a short term fix.

I agree with daveinwestmont, a unique identifier (kcbs number) helps with a large part of the problem. I've built and supported many large databases, comes down to where you want to spend the $. MMA is missing out on an upsell opportunity if they have the resources to support a 'customer' database.

Back