Spare ribs in the oven

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I need help brethren! I messed up my back, and have 3 racks of ST. Louise style ribs I intended to smoke today, and really don't want to freeze them. I know that this is heresy, but do any of you have a recipe for cooking them in the oven?:icon_bugeyed :oops:

While doing ribs in the oven is against all laws known to man:eek:, there is one exception. Since you are injured and cannot drag yourself to your pit, I will devulge the best oven recipe available:icon_cool. Anyone knows that Alton Brown is the king to Food Network. Check out his video instruction here. I know you will be pleased. He uses baby backs but spares will cook the same way. You will probably need to increase your cooking time a little but that's easy. Good Luck......and remember.....post pron!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

i'd toss em. :biggrin:

just boil them and get it over with.

hope your back is better soon

I need help brethren! I messed up my back, and have 3 racks of ST. Louise style ribs I intended to smoke today, and really don't want to freeze them. I know that this is heresy, but do any of you have a recipe for cooking them in the oven?:icon_bugeyed :oops:

Sorry to hear about your back Brian. If I lived closer I would smoke them for you.

Hope you feel better soon.

if ya can bend over to get to the oven ya can bend over to get to the pit.
take a few cervesas & fight through the pain.:twisted:

seriously though. get ya a foil pouch or cast iron skillet w/ wood chips in 1 side of the pan & cover @325 for an hour or until you see some pullback the remove the chips & foil & finish under broiler element. - the guy fieri (guy's big bite) version.

It's okay to cook ribs in the oven. Just don't call them bbq ribs if you sauce them.

Hope your back gets better soon - that can be a pain elsewhere.

I used to do ribs in the oven - same rub and pretty low and slow - about 250 for 2-3 hours. You can use the same criteria as when you smoke them - pull back, flexibility, etc.. Good luck and get better soon.

Get better. Ice is your friend. Just find someone to grill them for you.

Get one of those plush things you put in the freezer. Better than Ice. Then in a couple of days get a thermo wraps for a few days. It works. You can thank me by sending one of those racks this way. :icon_bigsmil

Last edited:
Ive done ribs in the oven in the past during white out blizzard conditions.

Just treat them like you were going to put them on your smoker.
I use a broiler pan to catch the drippings....keep oven clean mod.
I cooked mine at 250 degrees for about 5 hours, basting with apple juice every hour.
If im going to glaze, I figure the last half hour of the cook.
They will be fine just w/out the smoke flavor.

Let us know how they turned out, sorry to hear about your back.

Ive done ribs in the oven in the past during white out blizzard conditions.

Just treat them like you were going to put them on your smoker.
I use a broiler pan to catch the drippings....keep oven clean mod.
I cooked mine at 250 degrees for about 5 hours, basting with apple juice every hour.
If im going to glaze, I figure the last half hour of the cook.
They will be fine just w/out the smoke flavor.

Let us know how they turned out, sorry to hear about your back.
Didn't know it snowed in Michigan.:rolleyes:

I ended up throwing the ribs in the freezer, since I couldn't even stand long enough to prep them.
Thanks for all the suggestions, and well wishes. I guess I"ll see the Chiropractor tomorrow.

Hope your back gets better. I've been there.

As far as the ribs, I ate ribs from the oven for years. Only way my granny cooked them. They were pretty good too. She didn't have that Pit Boss reputation to live up too.

Back