MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Cloning Sauce question

So, normally, I am against cloning commercial sauces, as I would rather support people who do all the work to bring a sauce to market. But, and interesting task has come to me. About 15 years ago, a restuarant in the Bay Area called Rod's Hickory Pit made a great red and brown BBQ sauce. I am trying to clone these long gone sauces.

The owner, Rod Cotton, was from Oklahoma, he ran a large vertical brick pit, it was a thing of beauty and quite unique to this area. I am wondering if any of you fellers, especially from the Oklahoma/North Texas areas might have an idea about the sauces.

Are there sauces typical to that region that might be a red or brown sauce that I can start with. My memory is that the brown was sweeter, but still had a strong tart quality, the red was almost like a Memphis red sauce.

Idears?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Boshizzle

I heard that Embers Restaurant in Pinole, CA uses the same sauce. Don't know if it's true or not though. There are probably some differences but you may be able to get some there and use it as a model to clone the sauce from Rod's Hickory Pit.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 12-14-2011 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
landarc

How the heck do you know about Embers?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Boshizzle

I have my sources. :)

Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
How the heck do you know about Embers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I have my sources. :)
Must've slept at the Holiday Inn Express (in Texas).

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->