Need info on being a KCBS sanctioned Contest

bbqbull

Watching over us.
Reaction score
Ive been appointed to a committee to help organize a KCBS sactioned contest.
I belive we have a premo site, I have lots of contacts as this will be very local to where I live.
I will contact KCBS in the next few days, but wondering if anybody here has ever acted as a contest organizer?
What does that job entail?

Thanks in advance if someone can help me out.

Thanks for taking on this project!

I expect this will be a first class event at a beautiful park setting to start off the year!

I'll help anyway i can Mike! :biggrin:

You've got LazyJAcres, Aimee, and Jeff in KC that I can think of off the top of my head that have set up a KCBS contest.....and I'm sure there are countless others.....

Roo B Q is an obvious group with organizational experience. With the River City Roundup, they should know their chit.

Giddy up.... We need more in Michigan. Do you have a date range?

Best advice I can give you as an organizer is Get Help. Lot's of it. You'll be amazed at all the details there are to take care of, and you'll need plenty of willing volunteers to make things run smoothly.

Start with the info for organizers from the KCBS site, then initiate communications with your prospective Rep as early as possible. An experienced Rep has seen many contests, both good and bad, and should be willing to assist you with getting a new contest off the ground.

Giddy up.... We need more in Michigan. Do you have a date range?

I have the site reserved April 30th through May 2nd Scottie.
I envision a Certified Judging class, then the contest...........I may be stepping on some toes here but I had to grab the real estate while I could.

Best advice I can give you as an organizer is Get Help. Lot's of it. You'll be amazed at all the details there are to take care of, and you'll need plenty of willing volunteers to make things run smoothly.

Start with the info for organizers from the KCBS site, then initiate communications with your prospective Rep as early as possible. An experienced Rep has seen many contests, both good and bad, and should be willing to assist you with getting a new contest off the ground.

Im diligently working on this and probably have 25 percent of my bases covered.
Im sure this statement will kick my arse.
I just looking for some basic guidance here, and hopefully sort things out and make it a #1 contest.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice.

bqbull,

Give me a call at your convenience.

Work 931-759-6149
Cell 931-580-7445
Home 931-455-8746

Phillip

I have the site reserved April 30th through May 2nd Scottie.
I envision a Certified Judging class, then the contest...........I may be stepping on some toes here but I had to grab the real estate while I could.

Im diligently working on this and probably have 25 percent of my bases covered.
Im sure this statement will kick my arse.
I just looking for some basic guidance here, and hopefully sort things out and make it a #1 contest.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice.

Where in Michigan will the contest be? I like the fact that its an early in the year contest. We definitely need more of them. Looking forward to hearing more about the contest as it develops.

Jim Ferguson (Rolling Smoke) would be a good person to contact. He's put together a first class competition in Ohio in only two years. Learn from other peoples successes and don't try and reinvent the wheel or start out too big the first year.

I'm hoping we can participate in your contest.

I could imagine... I got a little taste of it in Hammond. It was so slow, I had to take a nap in between words... :roll:

Where in Michigan will the contest be? I like the fact that its an early in the year contest. We definitely need more of them. Looking forward to hearing more about the contest as it develops.

Jim Ferguson (Rolling Smoke) would be a good person to contact. He's put together a first class competition in Ohio in only two years. Learn from other peoples successes and don't try and reinvent the wheel or start out too big the first year.

I'm hoping we can participate in your contest.

I would definitely second the motion to contact Jim. He did an amazing job at his contest this year. Phillip would also be another great source of info.

Brethren thanks for the responses, ive talked to one fellow here, and will contact Phillip later on.
I had a meeting at Eagle Park today w/the park manager and things are falling into place very quickly.
I have talked with Theresa Munroe today and she is a huge library of information and she is on top of everything.
Thanks again for all your help.
Mike

This contest will be in Eagle, Michigan 48822.
Its a small village west north west of lansing of about 200 folks.
It has everything you could ever need, a party store, a bar and a post office.:biggrin:
Its off I-96 freeway at exit 84.
Paul Kirk taught 2 bbq classes their in the early 80's, some of you may have of attended.
I know we had folks from Michigan, Ohio and Indiana if my memory serves me correctly.

More info will be forth coming as the wrinkles are ironed out.

Back