Hors d’ oeuvres numbers help

M

Mike - CSBBBQ

Need some advice please. Try not to do too much foo foo catering but some friends are getting married and they want Q and you know how that goes... Anyway, after the wedding and why the happy couple are dealing with the pictures the reception begins. The want me to serve Hors d’ oeuvres for an hour starting at 5:30. Buffet dinner (ribs, pork, pit beef, pit turkey, green salad, green beans, baked beans, mac and cheese, and slaw) will start around 6:45. There will be 200 guests with very few kids. Planning on 4 or 5 different types. One will be MOINK Balls, one will be chilled shrimp, couple of others and veggie and cheese trays. The question is how much should I prepare??? Each person eats 2 of each? Guessing guests will not have eaten before the wedding. Any and all help is appreciated:smile:

I might be inclined to hit the restaurant depot and sam's for their pre-made Hors d’ oeuvres. Pick the ones you want based on what they have available. Those things can consume a lot of time prepping and cooking, then you have to transport. The restaurant my daughter works at even uses the ones that are premade and nobody ever questions them.

If you do not use them a lot I would buy the boxes pre made. They are way very time consuming to make for one party. I would go with the basics and stay away from BBQ for them. I would keep the two you have and add some cocktail weiners with honey dijon, brie cheese puffs with a rasberry dipping sauce, sesame chicken skewers with a thai peanut suace. I can go on and on if you need ideas. Good Luck

Crudite and/or crackers/bread and dips will go a long way as well and maintain profit. If possible, keep the bar central, and the hors d'ouevres placed at several staions thruout the room. Saltiy and or spicier items neares the bar. Afternoon/evening wedding hors d'ouevres plus a bar = Hungry guests. Everyone will be hungry, given the dinner hour, and may be looking to chow down during the "happy hour" before dinner. Items that can be pre-plated and placed out for self service will help here.

Also, allow extra time for pictures - It always takes longer than you (or the Bride) thinks. Make sure to talk all this over with the lucky couple and level set before the big day. Good luck.

Thanks, will check out RD for ready made. Didn't like what I saw at GJs and Costco. Not wanting the folks to make dinner out of them as the my buddy the groom wants it to be a Q to remember.

Down here you can't go wrong with a few cans of Cheese Wiz and a box of saltines.

Uncle Bud

Back