Hatch Chile 2018 Picture Thread

highergr0und

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Let's see some pics of dishes made with this year's harvest!!!

My local Whole Foods just got some in yesterday and I had to start with breakfast. Easy scrambled eggs with some shrooms, some roasted hatch chile, a little cheese, and dusted with some Oakridge Santa Maria. Delicious start to the day.

I66E65rIYJwcvcJCqLysZux64JSWNkiRrKaRlg8Ag2btUhbRKnzfva980zjdzNCJ8ph2MOPTeGeVyyE9PW09WcN0p6-rSzQOrUO9iYrIhXGIsz_rztgKT9rDS9XVjD9-bjbsyBd-7RK-BeYHqOz1RJTssEoLyOHAcCF52rLq4SbgUw2_tRX33_upT31sl8PNekxU_1XGcA1NkHFrnDUQHGI_kFOAFdXtIOB1JPwEMEnywibZUXgpLqxXG_Ag2wAAbEpeMNhtQudN3SVn4-n_Xaibv9q_8zTn7qm_1OP6fNxHkdJxKjCINqypz9ohMPV9VcvAkmvxae7qO8noq0QByBtvzY2SV8VF3diRMzchRRPSQtkU99VUzv2xLMunMOhTF97aPBP0dODE2aAgurXrkWay57r5UZkHuDmYP5sbJ_zkhPg4aKd8KV29lmMBTPiIXdgfYCseZ4SeimpfeAN_FqhUHOwnqdJFiTKx_HPWDOU78dvL56Aulfh49shdbPKEXDFKveMT8dZvkuSfZpXTFnBAEEgGypr36lCpMIsQxlQExBYi0nQyUpPj5JGA4fT9R9y3YDYCXrHZdx5ye7PFYl53FMkGRrs_AF7PF-Pp=w561-h747-no

Hatch Green Chile Mac N Cheese (with bacon&onion)

United Deli. Their cook my photo :)

Wow!! I'm debating doing a hatch cheesy grits or hatch mac and cheese tomorrow as a side with some brisket and smoked chicken. Was leaning towards grits but after that pic I'm not sure.

Wow!! I'm debating doing a hatch cheesy grits or hatch mac and cheese tomorrow as a side with some brisket and smoked chicken. Was leaning towards grits but after that pic I'm not sure.

Both :))

I've got 50# on order and hopefully headed here by next week. None have hit the grocery stores up my way yet.

I contacted my local hy-vee and they have them this week for 1.29/lb...time to load up!

I might actually skip them this year. Still have a bunch left in the freezer from last year.

Don't know why I haven't gone through most of them by now.

What are these mysterious Hatch chilies you all speak of? I haven't seen them here in NJ.

Is this akin to our "long hots" here that nobody outside the northeast can relate to?

Pray tell...more info?

Hot?

My local Sprouts has them. $.99/lb. Some chilis rellenos are in my immediate future.

We haven't had the big roasting weekend in Virginia next month. The Hatch folks will be here the second weekend on September.

That said, I found some Big Jim peppers at the Whole Foods by my office. So here's how I roasted them and what I did with them.

Peppers on the grill (dirty, I know, but I haven't used it for a long time...not since I have a blackstone do steaks SV). Cranked the heat up high. Once it is well over 500F, I put the peppers on.

44110194852_cb9708b86e.jpg

Turn them every few minutes. You're looking for a good char. If it is your first time, you are more likely to under do it than over do it. These aren't ready, but getting close.

43440067804_1eaa117d1a.jpg

Just pulled them and am loading them into a plastic bag for steaming. Put them in the bag, and then close it up (get most of the air out). The freshly roasted peppers with "steam" in the bag, loosening the skin.

29220714977_99fe4cff50.jpg

After about 20 minutes of steaming, the skins will slip right off. If they stick in spots, it's likely because they didn't blister enough. I just slipped the skin right off the top two, then stopped to take the photo, showing the difference.

29220715427_84c2543f0a.jpg

These would have been great for chile rellenos - thick, meating peppers that held up well. They would have been easy to stuff with cheese. But alas, that wasn't the plan, so I chopped them up.

43440068984_529d83c6c5.jpg

The purpose for these was a little homemade pan pizza. This pizza was made in my cast iron skillet...kind of like a pan pizza. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a shot of it in the pan.

Pepperoni and green chile pan pizza. Traditional in NM and it was delicious.

30291846068_db17bd89a5_z.jpg

One of these days I need to break out my camera when I do a cook....the iPhone photo really doesn't cut it for this pizza.

Thanks for looking!

I made my hatch cheese grits.... Failed in the fancy plated pic, oh well.... They were delicious.

epNI8dSVygskGGFhTA3PNDZ_qmo3evXU9N9rWhLieZMW6qWC4PDcA_lPryG0nMaDLd4wU8nwcqy8dFAAigYHa3BMSfrYGxmBUY-r1eWih3LxFik_RMyzSpmpl65Iu75caIZOS0IqWZvVi0NndgwqvNXsXFeSBdJUKzt6fdDdykXHuNnk4uwLYA0PHSyuJbnihTmKLQuEsb_MLJnEDjejQpc8a98Z3Q5ip1vDTFI1hZi1sK5jv-Ubgtu_ktjTHDRwIS7E4ImzKYGaLXNx9sfIarZcW4iJbmSkbZYRgtNTTqxbakjfMU-ZDf8xfb2pjhG0NTJdHCO5Gd7iAAyZ5DrrpTL3_59fTarjjdG7FleMAxwA7SPAgEysKwlx7pB8cpNox2TzaapxJ-E3C1LgTgrFeAw9q0Fg1DWk0l3-R1l7o0tS9M0FmpNqNKctUtLrTFRcRDvEm9kFbcfFkGjPd5j0uOgt3_PHUg36q3m1R67LARDukQV6woRqgSsgDCbtPAWNqPmG4EbcyxC-BAMR4BpGjT75V0fdEUGM49foHAuaGgzUfxIn122HUofqJwOjLLTZc45ng5_J2YsByiN530IYEQYscRlPRg83n42O5gwF=w710-h946-no

We haven't had the big roasting weekend in Virginia next month. The Hatch folks will be here the second weekend on September.

That said, I found some Big Jim peppers at the Whole Foods by my office. So here's how I roasted them and what I did with them.

Thanks for looking!

Ok, where are you getting Hatch in Va?

They changed this year, used to list by state, now the list by store. Check it out, might have one out by you.

https://www.melissas.com/Articles.asp?ID=4572

I see they have a Wegman's by me listed for this weekend, what's the deal with this list?

I usually get mine at Wegman's. I picked up a few at a Whole Foods market in Arlington. They aren't advertising them as "Hatch" peppers, but I know my chile pretty well and am pretty sure they are Big Jim peppers. Big Jims aren't very hot, but full of flavor and are large, thick and meaty.

The whole Hatch thing is largely marketing. There are many different types of green chile sold under the Hatch name. Anything actually grown in Hatch will be preferable to an Anaheim pepper grown in California or Mexico. That said, I use Anaheim peppers when needed in a pinch and they are often available year 'round, even here in VA.

I might actually skip them this year. Still have a bunch left in the freezer from last year.

Don't know why I haven't gone through most of them by now.

Not me, the ones you brought to the picnic last year, I went thru them like Sherman went thru the south. Man were they good! Thanks Andy

Back