Going Back to Texas

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Going to Texas for a family reunion next month. We'll be coming from Idaho to New Mexico. Then to Leakey Texas via I10. From there to Abilene then to Amarillo. Can the Brethren recommend any great BBQ or Texmex joints along that route?

Last edited:
There are a lot of great places in NM for a great green Chile cheeseburger. Look up NM green Chile cheeseburger trail. Find some place on your route or not too far from your route. If the place is on the trail it's gonna be good. Have a safe trip.

Not much in Leakey. In Abilene, I think Abuelo's is the best Mexican food. There is one in Amarillo also. Good Guacamole, Fajitas, Chicken Enchiladas, and Chile Rellenos. Joe Allen's is okay BBQ, but when they serve a host of other items like burgers, fish, oysters, chicken fried steak, etc., they are concentrating on BBQ IMO. Hold off on BBQ until Amarillo. Tyler's cooks really good ribs and brisket. Always in The Top 50 BBQ places in Texas. The Plaza is a small chain Mexican Restaurant, and one fun thing is the 'Build Your Own' enchiladas. Pretty good food.

Not much in Leakey. In Abilene, I think Abuelo's is the best Mexican food. There is one in Amarillo also. Good Guacamole, Fajitas, Chicken Enchiladas, and Chile Rellenos. Joe Allen's is okay BBQ, but when they serve a host of other items like burgers, fish, oysters, chicken fried steak, etc., they are concentrating on BBQ IMO. Hold off on BBQ until Amarillo. Tyler's cooks really good ribs and brisket. Always in The Top 50 BBQ places in Texas. The Plaza is a small chain Mexican Restaurant, and one fun thing is the 'Build Your Own' enchiladas. Pretty good food.
Yeah, went to Academy in Amarillo last year and bought a Old Country smoke house then went to Tylers. Left there and drove back to Boise in one shot. I did like Tyler's a lot.

Back