KCBS Team of the Year Full Results

Well hell, due to a work transfer only got to cook in two KCBS events this year and still finished in the top 1/3.

Yes, I know thats almost # 2000

for the toy is it your points for all contest you entered or your best so many?

KCass came in 504 cooking 6, but one didn't count since we we Fox 4 cookers at the GAB. Feel pretty good bout that!:-D

Rich and Bunny

505, 9 kcbs events, our LSBS didnt count, dang we did good in that one! 346 in ribs!

Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que finished 81st overall. We were 115 in Chicken, 103 in Ribs, 38 in Pork and 100 in Brisket. That is an improvement in all categories except Brisket over 2009. We cooked 15 competitions in 2010.

Actually 5300 or so got points. the others either did not turn anything in or they are not members (my guess).

Still 5300+ members who are cooks. Makes the election turnout even harder to understand.

Ford, I would venture to guess by looking at the numbers that 3/5 of 5300 teams getting points only participated in one contest. I would also generalize that most (not all but most) members just getting started in KCBS or only participating in one event just to see how it goes, just aren't that involved yet. Honestly, without outlets like this forum, I would also be pretty clueless about the "NEED" for my involvement as a member.

I get the feeling that most look at things with a simple perspective: "There is a sanctioning body. There are contests. The number of contests continues to grow. That's all I really want....we're all good"

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of number of teams participating in how many contests?
ie:
1 contest (2600 teams)
2 contests (1000 teams)
..etc, etc...

Those stats look pretty thin to me for last year, and I know some data was wonky after the changeover. We had a thread in which the number of teams that do what number of contests was discussed, some time back, but the gist of it was that there are a lot more teams who do fewer contests than there are that do more.

I know that in our case, the PP stats don't include the 5 IBCA contests or the 2 invitational contests we did, bringing our total from 27 shows down to 20, so you can see how statistics can be misleading.

Those stats look pretty thin to me for last year, and I know some data was wonky after the changeover. We had a thread in which the number of teams that do what number of contests was discussed, some time back, but the gist of it was that there are a lot more teams who do fewer contests than there are that do more.

I know that in our case, the PP stats don't include the 5 IBCA contests or the 2 invitational contests we did, bringing our total from 27 shows down to 20, so you can see how statistics can be misleading.

Absolutely, I understand that stats can be presented in any way shape or form to make a point. And the comment really wasn't to infer that if you don't do KCBS you don't compete, but rather the level of KCBS involvement relating to your desire to vote and have a voice.
In the end, if you only did one kcbs contest you probably aren't as involved in KCBS as others and would be less likely to feel the need to vote as a member or cook. You obviously aren't in this boat but 50% of the cooks participating fall into this category, only participating in one event.
Granted, this is an assumption about the dismal voting turnout, but I would bet there is a solid correlation between the two.

For 6 comps, I'm happy with our numbers as well. especially that 255th in pork:-D

We'll never be heavy hitters like some, but it's good to hear your name!

Slap yo Daddy just amazes me at #3. They have finished strong from the get-go.

Back