expanded metal

D

dkruks

I want to get an expanded metal grate to place into my smoker so that i can place smaller items in my smoker and not have them fall through...

My question is, do I have to find a certain type of metal,does it have to be food grade? sorry if this is a silly question, but I really know nothing about this topic, and don't want to pay through the nose and buy it from some specialty shop when I could just get it from my buddy at his metal shop.

Thanks,
Dave

The thicker the better, so they'll last longer. You can use stainless but $$$$$.
I'd shy away from galvanized, for sure, but anything else should be OK.

so it can be any metal as long as it is a little thick(longevity) and not galvanized(health reasons)...

so it can be any metal as long as it is a little thick(longevity) and not galvanized(health reasons)...

Yessir, that's the way'd I'd go. I made a charcoal basket for my Bandera a few years ago out of the thickest I could find at Home Depot (don't remember the size, though...) and while it warped a bit it never failed me. If you're just making meat grates they should last forever.

another question....once i have something like this, what is the best way to store it between uses...i would imagine that it would rust quite easily....

Unless you clean it thoroughly and put it in a really dry place it's gonna rust anyway. Spray 'em with Pam, coat with oil - or just leave the natural grease on 'em, I say.

Home Depot sells a 2'x2' section for about $20. Its not galvanized, but it is thin. It's what I used to make my charcoal basket 2 years ago. Should be no problem for your application.

another question....once i have something like this, what is the best way to store it between uses...i would imagine that it would rust quite easily....

You should season them a little bit before cooking to prevent rust. Just start a fire unnderneath and spray with a can of vegetable oil. Let the oil cook off and repeat the process a few times. The blackened residue that is left will protect the grates from oxygen and they shouldnt rust. I always give my grill a fresh coat of oil before I cook with it, it also helps give nice grill marks.

Yeah, if you're only needing the expanded metal to lay over your grates for smaller stuff.......get frogmats. I want to get some. No need to worry about rust.

Back