MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS burning too hot

Tried to smoke some salmon, could not keep my UDS under 300.

Mine has 4 air intakes, started with 2 open. I used a small scoop of glowing coals form my wood stove to start my briquets. The temp gets quickly to 200-225 withing minutes, so I ran just the gate valve intake half open, capping the other open intake. I let it run, temp went right up to 300, then 350, before settling at around 300.

What the heck? Must have an air leak, thinking I should use hi temp silicone around the air intake pipe threads?

For exhaust, I have 8 holes up under the rim, (like a PMC) for exhaust, which also serve as rod holders for hanging meat. Too much exhaust?

My lid fits snug, but I see some smoke leaking when I close off all the exhaust holes during shut down.

I'm using a turkey fryer thermometer, to monitor drum temp, it has occurred to me to check it before I get carried away.

Is there a good bi metal gauge for that job, or do most use a dual probe unit like a Maverick?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
StanDaMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's gotta be too much air. You could try stopping up some of those exhaust holes one at a time with some refrigerator magnets and see what that does. Sure can't hurt to seal up those intakes in any case.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

They are hogs for air!
I recently sealed and "shrink tube" my Maverick probes. I had to drill the hole larger (3/16") for them to fit through the hole (I will grommet these holes now).
It now takes much longer to shut down, and on the last cook on a breezy day temps varied much more... Since you are not using lump, the variance of small pieces and fines can be ruled out.
Bottom line, find your air leaks. Just my .02
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Jethro1
On the road to being a farker

Ya, what they said. Too many places for air. Tel True makes a great thermometer which I would instal at cooking level. They make one where it will come to you pre calibrated. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

300 is the perfect temp for all BBQ! What's the problem??

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I would check the turkey therm to see what it is reading in boiling water. (212*) I have a cheap one I got at wally world for about $6 or so that has run for over a year without any problem other than crusty build up that I have to clean off every so often. It will read low with the build up on it. Other than that, it is an air problem, and probably from the intake over the exhaust that will cause an overheat issue. Too much exhaust is usually not the problem unless the lid is off. I have no experience with the side holes, as all I have used is the lid exhaust. (2 inch bung hole with a short 6 inch nipple)

Blessings,
Omar

Old 10-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
funugy
Take a breath!

Pretty much what everyone else has said.

1. Check the thermometer in boiling water
2. Start closing down more air intakes/exhaust holes.

good luck
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Mugsterdad
Knows what a fatty is.

I assume the intakes are 3/4" pipe? If so, I suspect the thermometer!

XL BGE
WPS
UDS
Maverick ET-732
Mugsterdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

You might close down the intake a little more sooner, see what that does,or less hot embers. I have found mine likes to run anywhere from 275-285, each drum will run differently some hotter some cooler, point is let it run at 300 if thats where it wants to.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

thank you all, for the suggestions. I'm more then happy with the UDS and the way it cooks. when I did that case of chicken splits 330-300 is where it stayed.

maybe I'm just trying to ask more of it then its made to do, running 200-230 to slow cook the last of this years salmon catch. It just doesn't get as much smoke flavor at higher temps. No big deal , I have a cabinet smoker that I can use.
Sealing up the 3/4 intakes, using less starter briquets, and shuttind down earlier; all solid suggestions that will no doubt ease the situation, but like Bludawg said. "300, whats the problem"

Funny, I did check and recalibrate my other 2 dial thermometers. due to altitude here, our water boils at 205, give or take a tenth due to humidity.

On my exhaust openings, I'm hoping my math was right, but a 2" exhaust near the same area as my 10, 3/4" top holes. Just a bit bigger

Thanks again for your generosity

Last edited by StanDaMan79; 10-28-2013 at 10:45 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
JLStout
Got Wood.

Mine likes to run at 300 except on cold or windy days. Perfect temp for bbq IMHO.
JLStout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I just start closing off my intakes until the temp comes down. after that I start shutting off the exhausts. It's all about the oxygen. Maybe a bad seal around your lid.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #13
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

How embarrassing....I just checked my thermometer that I was using to monitor grate temp. It was reading 70 degrees too hot. That means my barrel was right on point, holding 225, give or take a few degrees

I need to double check everything before I panic. Well, panic is a bit strong. Thanks to you all, for your help. What a great community of folks you have here!

I'll have to try it again this weekend in the UDS, and see, rather then in a cup of boiling water, but I think I'll be OK.
thanks again
Stan