MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Default Fresh cut tatters

Hey Gang....I have seen several post on here and they have had fresh cut potatoes being cooked on the grill. Would like to give this a try. Please enlighten me to the ways to make this happen my Brethren grilling gods!

OK after I posted this and saw the first resonse I need to be a bit more specific. Something like french fries/potatoe wedges. Sorry.
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

May family likes the sliced and then put butter mixed with liptons dry onion soup mix, wrapped in foil and put on the grill
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Here's what i've been doing lately and I love them. I cut them into wedges then coat with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and rosemary then grill them until they are golden brown. Awesome.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Ah yes, Trashbag Taters... What I've learned over the years is that there are about as many variations of this as there are spices and spice mixes out there. Lately I've been using the "original recipe" found at that link on taters cut into large (1") chunks and roasting them (indirect) in a grill basket with some large onion slices. The process is pretty easy and you can easily substitute your favorite rub or spice mix to get the taste you are looking for.

Some folks like these cooked more than others; I've got some friends that rave over the ones that are on the verge of being burnt, so don't worry too much if you end up with some that look a bit overcooked.
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Try Hasselback potatoes. It's basically a spiral sliced tater that is rubbed w/EVOO or butter and then sprinkled w/ different spicies and seasonings. I believe their is a recipe on this site someplace.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
eggzlot
Take a breath!

I usually get rave reviews on these sweet potatoes:

First off, get yourself a "crinkle cutter" - not sure of the technical word, but they are cheap knives that can cut potatoes with the crinkles - I swear they add better texture/flavor to the potatoes.

I use Sweet Potatoes, cut them using the crinkle cutter and put them into a zip loc bag.

I add LIGHT EVOO (the key being light evoo), rosemary, rubbed dalmatian sage and a touch of sea salt. Mix it all up and let it sit in the bag for at least an hour.

From there, just toss them on the grill and off you go. On the grill I just keep an eye and flip them, in the oven (gasp), i pre heat a cookie tray to about 400 degrees, and they get about 20-22 mins per side, depending on how thick you cut them.

If you want to get real fancy, you can either add a drop of truffle oil or truffle salt (if using the truffle salt, I add at the end, not before the cook just to season).
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep...just sprinkle them with olive oil and course seasalt....add rozemary too if you like it.
Smoke/grill them untill they are getting soft and have a nice colour.
Best taters you'll ever have!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote