what is the difference if any?

S

smokeeater

I'm finishing up moding my horizontal Silver Smoker and I want to do my first brisket. My question is, Is there a differance between Corned beef brisket and just beef brisket?

When buying the brisket, do not buy the pre-trimmed ones found in most supermarket/COSTCO display cases. These have had the much-needed fat removed. Ask at the counter for a brisket that's untrimmed or still in the cryovac. Don't let them charge you the same per/# price as for the trimmed brisket.

smokeeater said:
I'm finishing up moding my horizontal Silver Smoker and I want to do my first brisket. My question is, Is there a differance between Corned beef brisket and just beef brisket?

Corned beef takes on a muddy flavor around here, for to get to it, you have to dig it up from the hole in the yard.

Go with regular, rub down without mustard, and there will be no noticeable mud taste.

thirdeye said:
smokeeater,

Smokin' a corned brisket will give you pastrami, which is also quite a treat in itself.

Just remember to switch to a corriander/pepper rub for the pastrami.

smokeeater said:

Corned beef is made from the brisket, but is brined in special seasoning. I am sure there are some recipes in the recipe section. Up north it is about the only way you get brisket. Down here can't find corned beef brisket. It is all made from round these says, nasty chit:cry:

Had a buddy who once saw corned beef brisket on sale, and bought a large one. Not knowing any better he tried to cook it on the grill like a big steak.
After realizing he had a massive chunk of rubber, he decided to slice it and fry some. Then realizing he had nothing more than sliced burned rubber, he put it in the "Round file."
After he told me about his experience, I informed him that they are usually best boiled with potatoes and cabbage. The guy had never even heard of it before.
Poor slob.

Well I guess I gotta go to the butcher to get "just plain brisket". All I ever see in any kind of store is Corned beef. Now don't get me wrong, I love pastrami but if I am going to grill kings in July Pastrami won't cut it.
Thanks for all your help everybody.

Arlin_MacRae said:
Coriander/pepper, Richard? Mmm, sounds interesting!

Our friends at Virtual Weber Bullet have a pretty good recipe for taking a brisket thru the curing and smoking process and ending-up with a pastrami. It's not exactly what I do, but close.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

If you buy a corned beef, you can save on the curing, but the results are not exactly the same, because a factory prepared corned beef is not the same as home curing when making a pastrami. The advantage of buying the corned beef is that you save 3 to 4 days of curing time, but I think the home cured version comes out better. This time of year (around St. Patrick's Day) is when you are most likely to find corned beef in places that typically do not stock it year round.

Coriander and Pepper, with some garlic are a traditional pastrami "rub."

Funny thing about corned beef, my Irish (county Sligo) wife had never heard of it. Must be Americano thing again. Interesting that corned beef can be converted to pastromi via smoker. Never heard of that. I have seen the brine soak and that was it.

Maybe your wife is from a different part of Ireland? :-D All of the sources I've looked at attributed the corning of beef (actually a salt curing) to the irish in the Middle Ages. Here's one...

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcornedbeef.html

Pastrami is normally made by cold-smoking corned beef, but since we don;t have smokehouses hanging around (most of us, anyway), we smoke it just like we do a regular brisket, but use a different rub to make it taste just like a commercially produced pastrami. Good stuff! I pastramized a conred beef yesterday and we're having pastrami reubens for dinner tonight!

Oh yeah... OT... Use a non-cured brisket for Grillkings. :-D

What's up with corned beef anyway? Is it an Irish thing, or is it a Jewish thing? Idon't know! Oy! It's meshugina!

LDOJYD said:
Funny thing about corned beef, my Irish (county Sligo) wife had never heard of it. Must be Americano thing again. Interesting that corned beef can be converted to pastromi via smoker. Never heard of that. I have seen the brine soak and that was it.

Good gawd, were from the neighboring counties in Ireland. For me it was a few generations back, but I am a McDermot from Roscommon near Boyle. I am thinking about retiring and moving to Boyle to open a BBQ joint (lottery dependent). I visited tho old country a few years back and really enjoyed it. I plan to get back soon for the trout fishing. My son is even thinking about trying to get a foreign slot a Trinity University in Dublin.

The Woodman said:
What's up with corned beef anyway? Is it an Irish thing, or is it a Jewish thing? Idon't know! Oy! It's meshugina!

Woody got me curious. Here is a cut and paste from wikipedia:

t is also associated with Saint Patrick's Day when Irish Americans eat a traditional meal of corned beef and cabbage. According to the History Channel, while cabbage has long been a traditional food item for the Irish, corned beef serving as a substitute for Irish bacon first became traditional in the late 1800s. Irish immigrants living in New York City's Lower East Side sought an equivalent in taste and texture to their traditional Irish bacon (similar to Canadian bacon), and learned about this cheaper alternative to bacon from their Jewish neighbors.

The term corn comes from the fact that the beef was originally dry cured with salt corns or kernels. Later a wet brine process was developed, probably after refrigeration was developed. There are two types of corned beef. Both brine the beef to preserve it. The Irish kind is brined without seasoning and cooks up brown. It may also have some Anglo-Saxon roots in the UK. The kind we fix in the US is brined with spices and cooks up red. I am not sure of the origin of this type of corned beef but it sure tastes good. We are fixing a couple of them tomorrow for Rubens.

Darn right they're good. Fixed one friday with cabbage and new potatoes. And yes the variety available here in the stores is wet brined and red.

Kevin said:
Darn right they're good. Fixed one friday with cabbage and new potatoes. And yes the variety available here in the stores is wet brined and red.

I think there are places that still do "brown" corned beef. Seen it near Boston a few times.....Never tried it, tho......

Back