My first official Chicken turn-in box

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK folks,

I don't usually do the chicken for our group but because there were two KCBS contests at Stagecoach we all shifted resposibilities for the second one. Here is my chicken box. Please let me know what you think for my first try and how it could be improved.

Stagecoach112.jpg

Stagecoach112.jpg

Stagecoach113.jpg

Ahhhh chicken that actually looks like chicken not a stretched out plastic pillow . I like it the only thing that catches my eye is the significant color fade from the top to the sides of the chicken

I'd say 8, too, probably. Aside from Sled's notes, I'd say the parsley could be just a wee bit more even....nitpicky, I know....

Grubbin!!! I love BBQD chicken!!! That looks great. I've never been to a comp so I have no idea what it might score but I think it looks good!

I'd give it an 7 or 8. Looks uniform in size but I can see some dark spots, but that could also be the angle of the camara. Too much green.

Here's what I think of your chicken!

I'D EAT IT ALL!

My only critique would be it looks a bit "blotchy"... Not sure if that is a word, but it just doesn't look look even.

Otherwise, the box looks good and it's filled up.

8, leaning towards 9. I wouldn't have had the parsley up that high on the edges, even with the box is how I would have done it. The chicken, it's not manipulated balls of bird, I like that!

8, leaning towards 9. I wouldn't have had the parsley up that high on the edges, even with the box is how I would have done it. The chicken, it's not manipulated balls of bird, I like that!

Ditto

First thought was an 8. And as everyone mentioned looks a bit blotchy going from darker to lighter. Box looks full and the pieces are uniform and moist looking. So what were the scores?????

I'm at work and don't have the scores handy. I finished 14th out of 30 teams.

Nice box.

The parsley is a little too high, but the color is great.

The color on the thighs is a little uneven.

The back left thigh is a little smaller than the rest.

All of the alleged:wink: defects are small. You'd be knocking on the door for a 9 from me. As is I'd give it an 8.

I like a nice even box, in color, size of samples, etc.... If my eyes are drawn to one spot because that particular piece of meat stands out as superior OR inferior then I tend to become more critical and notice other things.

Turn in what you've got, and do the best you can with it. Nice box!

The color unevenness (is that a word?) was my fault. It was probably because the thighs were touching on the shelf.

Everyone on our team loved the flavor so that's probably why it wasn't top ten. Usually when we like it, the judges don't.

neil, i think your pictures got mixed up with mine..LOL:p , i would go with soild 8's across the board, for your "first time" its a great box !!!

Thanks for all of the 8's guys! That encourages me to work even harder.

Back