work tables

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been using a couple of old tv trays by my grills to old various and sundry items and it's getting old. What are y'all using for a work table / sideboard.

I've used everything from an old microwave table on wheels to my Weber Ranch kettle (the latter as recently as last weekend). The Bubba Keg has side tables (more like wings) and the Performer has a table built in, so that solved most of the issues. If I was competing, I'd use those folding polymer tables.

I've used everything from an old microwave table on wheels to my Weber Ranch kettle (the latter as recently as last weekend). The Bubba Keg has side tables (more like wings) and the Performer has a table built in, so that solved most of the issues. If I was competing, I'd use those folding polymer tables.

With the PVC pipe leg extensions (back saver mod) :thumb:

I've also used tv trays and have come real close to knocking them over. I have an 8' fold out table but only use it when cooking for the masses. The performer solved that problem for that particular grill. Considering building a table on lockable casters.

I love (what I call) the "half table" from Lifetime. You can adjust the height.

31XDWYVPJDL._AA280_.jpg

Sams sells em for around $30

Brauma said:

I have to second the vote for lifetimes adjustable height tables. The highest level is 36" at the table top.

I have a number of them, don't need any for Q as there is a table next to the WQ100 That I use, but have two in the house and one in the shop.
One word of caution if you are going to do and heavy work on the top make sure there is something to support cutting chopping,grinding etc. As it is really easy to punch holes in the top. It is a hollow blow molded structure.

I also now place a section of ply over the one in the shop as using the cut off saw. the sparks/hot metal bits burned in to the top.

Will try to remember to snap a photo later.
:thumb:

I know about the backsaver mod, but what has been the preferred height that you guys like to work on? At 5'9" myself, I'm thinking around 38" to the top, but want to know what you prefer. 40"? 42"? Thanks in advance.

McGurk, it's kind of up to your comfort level. I'm 6' and we have a 38" and a 39" counter in our trailer - right around belt line or about an inch higher level seems to be comfortable for me.

Next time you work at your kitchen counter, decide if that's fine or if you wish it were raised and if so, how much. Then measure.

I just did some measuring and comparing, and I think 38-39" is the ticket. The beltline is a pretty close approximation, but I was checking at my elbows, too. We all know that beltlines tend to shift around with increasing waistlines, plus people with ape arms might not apply to this! So, at a normal stance with my arms bent at the elbow, about 1" below the bottom of my elbow felt just right. Try it yourself! It came to 39" for me.

Plus the Lifetimes clean up fast and are easy to fold up and carry. Thanks for the insight re: table heights! I'm in the process of building a cooking area in the yard and will be putting in some counter space and a permanent home for the egg. I never thought to raise them over standard kitchen height and doing so, even by a few inches, will be a backsaver!

i have an old fiberglass round top, originally made to convert a wire-spool to a picnic table, on top of a 55 gallon drum.....the perfect side table for my UDS

I don't use anything yet, and I NEED something. I'm surprised how much prep I'm doing outside next to my grills. I found a cool design in my popular mechanics magazine this month. I might try building that. But a 6' table is simple and cheap.

2 nights work ahead of you! I'm in the process of making a new version of the Weber Imperial Sequoia with a stainless top. Mostly due to the availability of some reclaimed redwood and a big ol' hunk of stainless. Yes, there will be a Kettle mounted in it, maybe 2! Pron to follow this weekend!

31XDWYVPJDL._AA280_.jpg

Sams sells em for around $30

Took the words right out of my fingers. There is also a different manufacturer that makes a similar table, but it also folds in half.

So, at a normal stance with my arms bent at the elbow, about 1" below the bottom of my elbow felt just right. Try it yourself! It came to 39" for me.

That's the right way to figure out the height that is right for you. Installed some work counters for a Chiropractor, and before establishing the height I asked him how far from the floor do you want these? He bent his arms so his forearms were parallel with the floor and he said "At that height." 43" for him.

Back