MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Holding/serving ribs

I am starting a small BBQ / sandwich take out and what would the best procedure for holding and then heating to serve ribs to the customer? With the 4 hour rule and wanting to serve a great product to an unknown amount of customers in a given day, so I am in need of info to help us get started, Thanks

Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Best way to take out some of the guesswork and or waste is to run them one or two days a week as a special. Limits your chances for having extra product down to one or two days until you get a clientele built.

Allow customers to pre order for your "rib days", and cook a little less than you think - Quality over quantity. Nothing wrong with running out of a good thing, and creating a little scarcity. It's a good marketing ploy, and folks will get there early next time to make sure they get their ribs.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
fevoice
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had really good success reheating ribs the day after cooking. I wouldn't go much longer than two - three days.

I cook then refrigerate. Next day I cut slabs into indiviual ribs. Place in aluminum pan, add a little apple juice or pineapple/orange, cover with foil and reheat.

You can also cut into half, third or quarter slabs...

Do a test and see what you think...
[URL="http://www.roaringforkbbq.com"]www.roaringforkbbq.com[/URL]
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
fevoice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
CROSSCZEK
Full Fledged Farker

Not in the biz, but...ribs hot off the smoker one day, rib meat sammies the nexd day with the leftovers.
Around here, leftover ribs are like Big Foot - I've heard stories, but I've never really seen 'em.

Good Luck,
-scott

[I]Custom built 8' long, 36" dia reverse flow stick burner (The Green Monster)[/I],[I]250 gallon tank grill[/I]
[I]Jenn-Air Gasser[/I], UDS Finally done!
[I]Proud father of two.[/I]
[I]Member GLBBQA[/I]
[I]CBJ# 55381[/I]
CROSSCZEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

I pre-smoke my ribs almost all the way then cool them down. I then re-smoke the ribs in small batches throughout the day, hold them in a hot box (max.2hours) then throw em on a grill to finish.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fevoice View Post
I've had really good success reheating ribs the day after cooking. I wouldn't go much longer than two - three days.

I cook then refrigerate. Next day I cut slabs into indiviual ribs. Place in aluminum pan, add a little apple juice or pineapple/orange, cover with foil and reheat.

You can also cut into half, third or quarter slabs...

Do a test and see what you think...
Thanks, what temp of the oven for reheat? And if cut into singles, does the meat hold okay without drying out? Any BBQ red sauce on these? I am setting up a steam table thinking about holding here..

Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interested in how this works for you.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
fevoice
Knows what a fatty is.

I reheated my ribs while I was smoking some chicken at about 325. I put the ribs (in foil pan) just above the chicken and would stick my therma-pen into the foil to check the rib temps. They don't have to be "HOT", but just nice and warm.

PS. While doing chicken I'll start on smoke or 225 for the first hour and then crank it up to 325 to crisp up the skin a little.

Keep in mind that I'm cooking on a modified Traeger 075. So I can adajust the temps on the fly. I put the ribs in with the chicken (smoke/225) so as to not "shock" them going from the frig right into the cooker. I found that it took me about 2 hours to get the ribs nice and reheated.

As far as holding in a steam pan, you run the rick of "steaming them". I'd keep them in foil and keep the steam table at 140-160 if possible. Or what ever your health dept. demands. Check with them before you follow my advice...
[URL="http://www.roaringforkbbq.com"]www.roaringforkbbq.com[/URL]
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
fevoice is offline   Reply With Quote