Holding Spare Ribs

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Did not find a thread on this. Can I do it?

Thinking about about 3 hours or so, seems that would be okay with maybe a 3-1-1

What do you say?

What are you cooking on? Big difference in times.
On my UDS I would think 3/1/1 and holding for 3 hours would produce mushy ribs. Just a thought. I did a 3-1/2-1/2 and coolered for 2 hours to drive to my MIL and they were pretty good. Done enough but not fall off the bone over done. Some more brethren will chime in here...hopefully.

Newbie question. Does that mean 3hrs smoke 2hrs foiled then 1 hr smoke again for the 3-2-1 method?

Are you taking them somewhere or holding them at home? I have coolered for 2 hours before finishing them for the last hour and they were excellent.

Newbie question. Does that mean 3hrs smoke 2hrs foiled then 1 hr smoke again for the 3-2-1 method?

yep, the last hour to firm them back up, depending on your smoker you will have to adjust the numbers. (google amazingribs, that guy will explain everything)

you basically have two options... you can hold them in the middle and eat the from the ends inward but you leave a lot of meat where your fingers were... or you can hold the tips of the rib bones and eat from the middle of one side, flip it over and eat the other side. That's my way.

What are you cooking on? Big difference in times.

Cooking on the Egg

Are you taking them somewhere or holding them at home? I have coolered for 2 hours before finishing them for the last hour and they were excellent.

Going to cooler them at home. Looks like I will 3-1 1/2 then 1 more right after coolering, sound right?

yesterday, i smoked six slabs of baby backs in a large egg for 5 hours, then took them to my friend's and put them in the oven at 200 in a hotel pan. you'll have to decide for yourself on the look of the ribs whether or not you foil the pan...

you basically have two options... you can hold them in the middle and eat the from the ends inward but you leave a lot of meat where your fingers were... or you can hold the tips of the rib bones and eat from the middle of one side, flip it over and eat the other side. That's my way.

That's funny right there.....I don't care who ya are....that's funny.

I myself prefer the corn on the cob rotate method.

Nice Funk, beet me to it, LOL. :lol:

Back