MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Default Practice Box....Comments Please

Well, the time grows near to our first comp in two weeks. Did a full run through last night and into today using the actual turn in times.

Would appreciate your comments and critique. I know the lettuce is a bit skimpy in a few spots....didn't buy enough, will know better next time. Also was not happy with the rib"tenderness" or lack there of. And of course I going to probably die trying to get my chicken skin right.....FARK.........Also know we need to adjust some time on the board now.

Pork:

By tonto1117, shot with KODAK CX6330 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2007-06-30

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

All the meats look really good (except that one piece of chicken that is out of shape compared to the rest).

As you mentioned garnish was an issue. I think that's the biggest area of improvement. I'm not a fan of the flat leaf parsley either on the chicken. I prefer the curly parsely. A lot of dead space in the brisket and rib boxes. I'd suggest trying to fill that in with more meat and garnish accordingly.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Everything looks really good but the lettuce is horrible. Meats are right on though. All of the lettuces and or parsley need to be even and uniform. HINT: Ever see a putting green? Try and make it look like that. Love your brisket. Some of the best I have seen.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
bcis93
On the road to being a farker

Looks Great! I would remove the parsley from in between the chicken. The garnish needs some work as mentioned. We spend 2-3 hours preparing the garnish/boxes. They say garnish does not make a difference but.... Here is a link to some pics on my Flickr site. http://www.flickr.com/photos/doragq/ Not that we are experts but just something to look at for reference.

FE100, Stick Burner, NB Black Diamond, NB Bandera

2010 Sponsors - Early Times Whisky, American Bass Association, Wireless Plus, & Motorola!
Thanks For Your Support!
bcis93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcis93 View Post
Looks Great! I would remove the parsley from in between the chicken. The garnish needs some work as mentioned. We spend 2-3 hours preparing the garnish/boxes. They say garnish does not make a difference but.... Here is a link to some pics on my Flickr site. http://www.flickr.com/photos/doragq/ Not that we are experts but just something to look at for reference.
bcis93,

I looked at your turnins also and they are indeed very nice. I would like to make one suggestion to you though. I noticed that in a few cases the garnish overhangs the meat. We did that a few times ourselves. I bet your presentation scores will go even higher if you trim the garnish around the meat. Ours did.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
bcis93
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try. I was really proud of our rib presentation in Smyrna. We got all 9's in appearance. Thanks

FE100, Stick Burner, NB Black Diamond, NB Bandera

2010 Sponsors - Early Times Whisky, American Bass Association, Wireless Plus, & Motorola!
Thanks For Your Support!
bcis93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You should be very proud! All 9's are next to impossible to come by. Congratulations!

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the comments and feedback. Will definetley work on the garnish, and be more picky when I choose it. Also will go with the curly Parsley next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcis93 View Post
Great pics, thanks for the links. I did not leave enough time for sure, lesson learned. I saw on your site that you will be in Lebenon, TN in August, we signed up for that one a few weeks ago...hope to get a chance to say Howdy!!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Old 07-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #9
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I agree that the garnish needs attention in all the boxes. Me I use curly parsley only. You could use a bed of green leaf lettuce ,put your meat in and use curly parsley to frame it. I am one of those who thinks garnish is a waste of time but I can't beat them so I have to garnish untill everyone else stops.
The pork?
Give the judges something different than a pile of meat. I like the bark and the color of your pork. It looks moist too and I like it being more chunkier than stringy. Break it up and put in some sliced along with the pulled. Give the judges something that sets your aside from everyone else if you can. There is nothing that cates my eye more than a box that is different.
Ribs?
Look great! I'd put them together so the touch. Maybe helps keep moisture in them while waiting for the judges to sample.
Brisket?
Looks nice! I'd add a pile of burnt ends in the box as well.
Chicken?
The chicks look pretty good. I think most judges ar going to knock for uneven sized pices and skin that is pulled back from the edges. Go easy on the sauce too.

This is only my opinion and I don't claim to know everything, it's just what I've noticed from both judging and cooking. Have fun at your contest, I'm sure you'll do well. ~Jim
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
I agree that the garnish needs attention in all the boxes. Me I use curly parsley only. You could use a bed of green leaf lettuce ,put your meat in and use curly parsley to frame it. I am one of those who thinks garnish is a waste of time but I can't beat them so I have to garnish untill everyone else stops.
The pork?
Give the judges something different than a pile of meat. I like the bark and the color of your pork. It looks moist too and I like it being more chunkier than stringy. Break it up and put in some sliced along with the pulled. Give the judges something that sets your aside from everyone else if you can. There is nothing that cates my eye more than a box that is different.
Ribs?
Look great! I'd put them together so the touch. Maybe helps keep moisture in them while waiting for the judges to sample.
Brisket?
Looks nice! I'd add a pile of burnt ends in the box as well.
Chicken?
The chicks look pretty good. I think most judges ar going to knock for uneven sized pices and skin that is pulled back from the edges. Go easy on the sauce too.

This is only my opinion and I don't claim to know everything, it's just what I've noticed from both judging and cooking. Have fun at your contest, I'm sure you'll do well. ~Jim
Great suggestions Jim, thanks for the input!!!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ