First cook on new 22.5WSM, Jerk Pork

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I just picked up my new 22.5 WSM, and thought I would break it in with some Jerk Pork.

I got a 8lb butt, boned it and butterflied it.
P1000912.jpg

Made a wet Jerk paste and marinated it for about 3 hours.
P1000913.jpg

The new 22.5 WSM
P1000915.jpg

Put the butt on with about a chimney of unlit Kingsford and half a chimney of lit, with hickory for flavor. This thing held dead steady at about 240*, for the entire cook, about 3 hours.
P1000916.jpg

I finished the butt over direct heat to crisp things up a bit.
P1000949.jpg

Cut into large chunks.
P1000953.jpg

Served with “peas and rice”, and a little salad.
P1000956.jpg

The food was great, very spicy, but great. The WSM performed better than I could have hoped for our first outing. I still have a lot to learn about this cooker and quite a few questions, but that’s another post. Thanks for looking.

I think I linked my photos wrong, I've always just attached, but wanted to save on server space. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: NEVER MIND FIGURED IT OUT.

Looks great Jonesy. Did you butterfly the butt to lessen the cooking time or to get more surface area for your jerk seasoning?

Looks great Jonesy. Did you butterfly the butt to lessen the cooking time or to get more surface area for your jerk seasoning?

I actually did it for both reasons, I wanted as much contact area for the paste and figured since I wasn’t taking to the pulled state I could cook it faster.

Thanks guys, I really do love this cooker, even after just one cook. I can't wait to have a reason to pack it full and see how it does.

Shiny bright! Great job on the cook, looks and sounds fantastic:clap2:

Nice scrumptious looking food right there. Shiny new smokers are ok but it is good to see you changing the colors.

Definitely have to try this. Enjoy the WSM and thanks for the pics.

Back