• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much pulled pork for 60 people?

DanPop

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I find myself in a situation that I get to maked pulled pork for 60 people this weekend. Cub Scouts and parents. I'm excited, 1st time for a crowd. I was thinking 3 butts, assuming 6 pounds each. Does this sound right, or any other suggestions??? Thanks.

Dan

Assuming 4 oz serving I would get about 25 lbs uncooked.

I think you're right, 4 butts sounds safer, just in case. Just got back from Restaurant Depot, that place is awesome!!

I was thinking 3 butts, assuming 6 pounds each.

Is that 6 pounds cooked or uncooked.

When I cook butts I get a 50% yield. I think 4 oz. per person is good considering some will not be adults but it may be nice to have some extras. Are you serving sides or just the sammies?

I would cook 5 8 pound butts which would leave me 80 4 oz. sammies. If you just did 4 butts you would end up with 64 sammies. This would probably do just fine butt you sure don't want to get caught short.

I usually figure 6 people per pound (cooked) since women and children will eat less. Totally agree on the 50% yield. With that said, for 60 people I would take at least 10 lbs. but no more than 12 lbs.

I usually figure 6 people per pound (cooked) since women and children will eat less. Totally agree on the 50% yield. With that said, for 60 people I would take at least 10 lbs. but no more than 12 lbs.

Neil, you are certainly talented if you can feed 60 people with 12 lbs of pork! :biggrin:

I go MAX 4 servings (1/4 lb) so your looking at 15 lbs cooked pork.

YMMV :cool:

If your serving 2.6 oz portions, how much are you charging? You using tiny buns? :shock:

Neil, you are certainly talented if you can feed 60 people with 12 lbs of pork! :biggrin:

I go MAX 4 servings (1/4 lb) so your looking at 15 lbs cooked pork.

YMMV :cool:

If your serving 2.6 oz portions, how much are you charging? You using tiny buns? :shock:

Lawd, Steve is right, his Mileage Varied:icon_blush:! I mis-read the original post and thought is was for 50 ppl.

Trying to be quick at work and respond mod!:redface:

I figure 1.5 sandwiches per person. So I would plan for 90 sandwiches. Divide 90 by 4(sandwiches per pound) = 22.5 of cooked pork, then double that for 505 yeild. So I wouid cook 45 lbs raw. Pork is cheap cooking an extra 10lbs should not cost more than $11. Then if there is extra, I send it home in clamshells with my card taped to the lid.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to go with 4 butts, about 32lbs raw. A lot of these scouts are 6 and 7 years old. If it's not enuf, lessoned learned. I'm not getting paid for this, anyhow!

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to go with 4 butts, about 32lbs raw. A lot of these scouts are 6 and 7 years old. If it's not enuf, lessoned learned. I'm not getting paid for this, anyhow!

That should be fine, I just did one for 50 people and gave them 15lbs and they had just a little left.

Back