MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 03-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #136
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

This is my official entry into the TD. My first ever. It's skilled-grilled, so it's "grilled" using the term loosely, but still properly. I hope this still qualifies.

I have video and pictures:

http://instagram.com/p/ljDr51y71J

Two 80/20 ground chuck (not ground beef) patties flattened to about 1/4" thick and 5" in diameter
Preheat a small skillet on low heat
Dice onions into rice-size pieces and place into small skillet. You want to reduce them, not brown them, so cook them like this until they form a paste (takes about 20 minutes)
At about 15 minutes, preheat a larger ~12" skillet on medium-high heat
Take a true metal spatula and press the tip into the top side of the patties, making small gridlike indentions across the whole patty.
Once the skillet is heated, liberally salt the gridded side of the patties.
Place patties grid-side down and immediately make a grid on the top side
This grid creates tiny "feet" that come in contact with the skillet and help create a nice crust with the salt as well as helps reduce shrinkage
Cook until a nice crust has formed (usually about 5 minutes)
Slather yellow mustard on the top side and flip
Once the patties almost have a crust on both sides, place a piece of deli-sliced American cheese on top of both patties
Place unbuttered hamburger buns inside the skillet
Tilt the skillet a bit to allow the fat from the patties to reach the buns, if it's not already
Cook until toasted well, almost burnt

To build the burger, spread a little Thousand Island dressing on the bottom bun (or ketchup + mayo + relish), a few pickle slices, one patty, then spread the onion paste on top of this patty, then place the other patty and top with the bun.

I love a burger where the meat speaks for itself. I don't like too many toppings and I definitely don't prefer thick patties, gourmet, stuffed, etc burgers. I mix nothing into my meat.

That video was taken two weeks ago and the picture is the result, so I'm within the timeline. Had I known I would be using it to enter a TD, I would have taken better pictures. Perhaps after a few bites were deliciously removed.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #137
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I made another farking double cheeseburger, that meets all the criteria of a farking double cheeseburger. I haven't yet decided whether or not I want this to be an entry in the farking double cheeseburger throwdown. It was just fun to do, because this farking double cheeseburger is a bit off the wall, yet oh my goodness did it taste good.

The Double Hot Italian Burger w/ Provolone & Parmesan

All the zesty taste of an Italian Meatball Sandwich, but with the high performance handling of a burger!
Vroooomm!

Build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=182972
Please enter this one, in addition to my pastrami burger.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #138
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Please enter this as my official entry pic for the Double Farking Cheeseburger TD

Wagyu brisket double smashburger with cheese. Here is the thread of the whole cook:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=184984

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #139
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles View Post
This is my official entry into the TD. My first ever. It's skilled-grilled, so it's "grilled" using the term loosely, but still properly. I hope this still qualifies.
What was the heat source for the skillet? I can't tell from the video.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #140
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
What was the heat source for the skillet? I can't tell from the video.
Gas stove. Which is why I pointed out that this was only skillet-grilled. I didn't know if that still counted towards qualification. The rules didn't mention it, at least not that I saw in the TD rules thread.

If I missed it and I'm excluded, then my apologies.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #141
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles View Post
Gas stove. Which is why I pointed out that this was only skillet-grilled. I didn't know if that still counted towards qualification. The rules didn't mention it, at least not that I saw in the TD rules thread.

If I missed it and I'm excluded, then my apologies.
From the rules...

Quote:
5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).
I don't know what "skillet-grilled" is :), but if the heat source was a grill or smoker maybe you could make an argument for it. But cooking on a gas stove isn't a grill or smoker.

Sorry.

But thanks for being honest

Naked Fatties Rock!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #142
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard
Talking Now That’s a Tasty Burger: Homemade Copycat of The Habit Double Char Burger with Double Cheese

This is my official entry in the Double Farking Cheeseburger Throwdown:

Full cook thread is here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=185042
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #143
deguerre

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #144
Jack Daniels
On the road to being a farker

Please consider this is my official entry into the Farking Double Cheeseburger Throwdown:

Triple Cheese, Triple Pork, Double (Stuffed) Mudder Farkin' Cheeseburger

In Summary: Two stuffed burgers...bottom one stuffed with maple/bourbon pork belly that I smoked and topped with colby jack cheese...top one stuffed with homemade, smoked chorizo and topped with pepper jack cheese...melted brie on the bottom bun...topped with bacon...some of that goofy, healthy veggie stuff, and the top grilled bun and all held together with a diamond plate handle knife (because I have them and I could)A burger of this magnitude needs no sides, but a defibrillator would probably be handy.

Here is the build thread with pr0n: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=185083

149s01x.jpg

Last edited by Jack Daniels; 03-30-2014 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Replace blurry pic with better pic
Jack Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #145
Ron_L

This farking throwdown is farking double done done! Farking poll later!

Naked Fatties Rock!