• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do you use a rib rack?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm running a WSM 18.5. I do not want to cut a rack of spares to make them fit so I use a rack and wrap them around as needed for St. Louis cuts.

They shrink and lay out fine towards the end of the smoke.

30hndxi.jpg

My question is:
Is there any difference in the way they smoke when the meat is bent/stressed in one area or does the cooking process relax them to the point that it does not matter?

Thanks for any and all input.

I have a vertical smoker and I use rib racks to maximize space so I can get at least 30 full racks of ribs.

I see no difference in smoke flavor between my racked rib and my non-racked unless I allow them to touch each other.

To answer your question is that it shouldn't matter unless they wind up touching each other. Where they contact each other the smoke will be diminished...

I use racks on my WSM if I need the space. No difference detected when using a rack or laying flat on the grate. Only issue is it's one more thing to clean, but that isn't a big deal.

I think I get better product from rib racks, moister ribs, with better smoke, and I think it is because the smoke moves up and through the racks evenly.

I used a rib rack for two racks of STL spares on the SJ-mini.

There was no change in the texture or flavor of the meat, but it did suck to try to pull them from the rib-rack, as I had some hearty spares.

From my experience, there is no difference between laying the ribs flat on a cooking grate, using a rib rack, or rolling the rack of ribs. As long as you leave airspace for heat and smoke to get to the meat, how you create that space is not important.

CD

Thanks for the replies! As far as the ribs sticking to the rack (or grill for that matter) a light spray of veg oil works wonders and helps with clean up too.

I've never seen a difference in quality using rib racks. I use one in my KJ, UDS and stickburner if I need the space.

I bought my first rib rack just the other day. I grabbed a cheapo from Menards and I plan to use it for the first time this weekend. I hope it goes well, I havent used one before.

I like to sauce my ribs (heavily) and let the sauce thicken during the last 20 min of the cook. Would be a mess with racks. Yeah, I'm from Kansas City.

Back