I should have clarified. The paint from the outside didn't burn off. There was nothing on the inside.

I ended up using a vinegar bath to get rid of the rust. Added some elbow grease with steel wool and it looked good.

One last question - after the vinegar bath, I totally spaced about washing it out with soap and warm water. I just greased her up and seasoned for about three hours. There was about 1 inch of standing vinegar in the base, but I pour it out and wiped the inside down. Should I be worried I didn't wash in the inside with soap/water?

I should have clarified. The paint from the outside didn't burn off. There was nothing on the inside.

I ended up using a vinegar bath to get rid of the rust. Added some elbow grease with steel wool and it looked good.

One last question - after the vinegar bath, I totally spaced about washing it out with soap and warm water. I just greased her up and seasoned for about three hours. There was about 1 inch of standing vinegar in the base, but I pour it out and wiped the inside down. Should I be worried I didn't wash in the inside with soap/water?
Acidic acid is a corrosive rinse it out with water and light it up let it burn for an hr to dry it out.

So even though I've seasoned it at 350 for a few hours, I should go back and wash it out? Then light it up to dry? Then reseason?

I have no problems doing that, but I just want to make sure that is what you are advising.

EDIT: I googled this. Oil is a base, which should have neutralized what vinegar was left on the surface. I'm going to just go with it the way it is. If my drum corrodes over the next few years, I'll just rebuild it using the parts. Its not like this is a $400 WSM or anything.

Last edited:
So even though I've seasoned it at 350 for a few hours, I should go back and wash it out? Then light it up to dry? Then reseason?

I have no problems doing that, but I just want to make sure that is what you are advising.

EDIT: I googled this. Oil is a base, which should have neutralized what vinegar was left on the surface. I'm going to just go with it the way it is. If my drum corrodes over the next few years, I'll just rebuild it using the parts. Its not like this is a $400 WSM or anything.

Fire that biatch up and start cooking!

Video of my UDS!

I really like my UDS! easy to build and use.
Here is my video of my UDS...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG06SxJMaJA&feature=plcp"]UDS ugly drum smoker bbq - YouTube[/ame]

I decided to power wash mine, again, with some Simple Green, as the snow was coming down. Followed it up with dish washing soap and hot water. Regreased and got her ready. With all three 3/4" intakes open, she hit 350 in no time.

SmokerSeason2.jpg

About 30 minutes later, this is what it looked like. I didn't paint the outside and didn't want to deal with rust, so I covered her up. Kept between 350 - 375 until I went to bed.

SnowSeason1.jpg

Any tips on during my first burn/season of my new UDS? Im gonna rub the inside down with some oil of some kind and load up the basket and let her rip for a few hours then throw some kind of meat on.

Any tips on during my first burn/season of my new UDS? Im gonna rub the inside down with some oil of some kind and load up the basket and let her rip for a few hours then throw some kind of meat on.

Some people say not to use an oil that can turn rancid, but if you crank it up, you'll be fine.

I didn't oil anything. After the burn, I washed it out and started cooking. It seasoned just fine on it's own.

You can use PAM, or the cheap cooking spray they sell at WALMART... I believe they sell it too at those 0.99 cents stores:

butterypolish-thumb-652x488-45168.jpg

Her name: Arizona Ugly I

My first UDS, almost finished with the build. Im a AC guy so I used some aluminum round duct with a built in damper for the stack. Learned a lot from my build so far, would do a couple things differently. Tomorrow we finish with the charcoal ash tray and diffuser/drip pan then we season her and Sunday, I hope, smoke a ham.

Attachments

• my smoker.jpg
    my smoker.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 705
Patience????

Patience is not something that I have an over abundance of, therefor I decided to build a smoker because I do enjoy smoked foods. I know that slow and low is the motto and I figured that in order to smoke food I enjoy I may also be able to teach myself to gain some patience along the way. Plus finishing a project is also not one of my strong suits. So I figure what better way to train myself on two things I really need to work on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 675
Since the photo that I previously posted I have made some adjustments to my UDS. I have added a 3" river country dial thermo, removed the air intake risers and purchased a maverick et 73. So far so good. Meat has been coming off my smoker every weekend since. Just trying to dial it all in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 668
Well I sprayed her down with some Pam loaded up the basket with kings ford blue and some apple wood. Started playin with the intakes to get a feel for the temp and I have to say she's works flawlessly! I let it burn for a couple hours then threw some pork ribs on it. This thing cruises at 275 with just the ball valve open all the way. Ribs are still on as I type this. Here's a couple pics from my phone. This is my first time smoking anything so I hope it works out good!

20121110_141049.jpg

20121110_144504.jpg

20121110_170727.jpg

My build so far. The photos are in no real order, my bad. The nuts and bolts were soaked in pool acid and then rinsed and installed. I also hit them with an acetylene turbo torch again for good measure. The black wire rack is from an old gas bbq. I bent it just enough to get it to fit. I used self tapping screws for most of my initial holes and then came back with a drill and nuts and bolts and secured them with those.

Things that are really helpful, besides beer: Vise, self tapping screws, two cordless drills (one for drilling one for the self tap screws), a level, plumb bob.

It was really windy and cold too. The weed burner really kicks arse when starting the fuel. I used a mix of kingsford briquettes, mesquite wood and cowboy lump charcoal. I got her up to 400F to season the inside and test the waters.

Today Im smoking a ham on it, wish me luck.

Attachments

• my smoker 2.jpg
    my smoker 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 755
  • my smoker first burn.jpg
    my smoker first burn.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 752
  • my smoker wood shelf.jpg
    my smoker wood shelf.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 754
  • my smoker charcoal basket 3.jpg
    my smoker charcoal basket 3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 752
  • my smoker charcoal basket 2.jpg
    my smoker charcoal basket 2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 757
  • my smoker charcoal basket.jpg
    my smoker charcoal basket.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 751
  • my smoker 3.jpg
    my smoker 3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 752
  • my smoker digital 3.jpg
    my smoker digital 3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 746
  • my smoker digital 2.jpg
    my smoker digital 2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 748
  • my smoker digital.jpg
    my smoker digital.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 753
  • my smoker black wire basket 3.jpg
    my smoker black wire basket 3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 751
  • my smoker black wire basket 2.jpg
    my smoker black wire basket 2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 749
  • my smoker black wire basket.jpg
    my smoker black wire basket.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 750
  • my smoker drum interior.jpg
    my smoker drum interior.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 747
  • my smoker muriatic acid.jpg
    my smoker muriatic acid.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 746
  • my smoker weed burner.jpg
    my smoker weed burner.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 742
  • my smoker with charcoal.jpg
    my smoker with charcoal.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 744
Last edited by a moderator:
RTV Sealant question

I used the Permatex Red Hi Temp red RTV sealant to mod my UDS to add a domed lid and seal up around the air intakes at the bottom. On the first trial run, I built a small fire to test the temp performance, etc. I noticed a chemical type smell coming through the exhaust vents. I've seen plenty of posts using this product and would assume that if its not safe for a UDS, that would be well documented here. However, I'm really concerned about off gassing during the cook. I don't want my guests getting ill from my modded rig! Any input would be appreciated

Back