MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2004, 08:27 PM   #1
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Default Does it make a difference?

Does it make a difference to the taste or quality of the meat if you use anything other than water in the water pan? I have a vertical smoker, and keep wondering if it would be worth while to use a wine or other liquid. Maybe even add herbs to the water?

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Default Re: Does it make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemn62
Does it make a difference to the taste or quality of the meat if you use anything other than water in the water pan? I have a vertical smoker, and keep wondering if it would be worth while to use a wine or other liquid. Maybe even add herbs to the water?
Well, you have two major schools of thought here.

One thought is that the water pan ought to have some sort of fluid in it so as to serve as both a heat sink and to add some moisture and perhaps some flavor depending on the fluid (beer?) and anything added (onions, herbs).

The other school of thought is that the water pan serves mainly as a heat sink and since water (fluid) evaporates and gets nasty (drippings), it's just as good to use sand in the water pan as the heat sink (put foil under and over for easy cleanup), perhaps better since sand doesn't evaporate and therefore the heat sink stays more constant.

Personally, I use sand and rely on the brines/marinades, rubs and smoke to do the flavoring.

I'm certain you will get a lot of input from the water in the water pan folks.

Old 08-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #3
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Where would you get sand for your smoker? I have had problems with trying to re-fill the water pan during a long cook, if there is a lot of stuff on the grates.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Todd

The water also adds moisture to the smoke chamber and helps to keep the meat moist, however, not much if any, of the flavor in the water will get into the meat. It does make the smoke smell realy good.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Used "play sand" - think it came from Home Depot.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight
The water also adds moisture to the smoke chamber and helps to keep the meat moist, however, not much if any, of the flavor in the water will get into the meat. It does make the smoke smell realy good.
I use water and that is my opinion exactly!

I add apples, oranges, pears, or whatever is getting "old" in the frig.
It drives the neighbors crazy--they all stop by and drool.

Besides, if I gotta suck in that smoke for hours, it might as well smell good! doubt if it adds flavor though!

Just my nickle!
TIM

Old 08-14-2004, 10:45 PM   #7
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Moist product is the function of correct technique and getting the meat off the cooker at the correct finish temps. Moisture in meat is released as conective tissue breaks down, the games is to hit the window of it being released and not cooking too long and drying it back out. Meat that is not cooked long enough can be dry also cause the conective tissue hasn't released it yet.

If I want a flavor in or on meat I put it there. This my opinion of course. Tim's reasoning sounds as good as any!
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote