MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #331
Pinny
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for those links. Just saw that TrendKill on YouTube has the same Teltru with 6” stem.

Let me ask you, have you gotten any rust without a cover on? Or does the seasoning protect it?
Pinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #332
Dread Pirate Roberts
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
Sure that's not Tyler , Texas ?

I could not find one within 250 miles of Oklahoma City.
They show one in Lawton and Ardmore. If I had my truck out here I’d be hauling one back to Vegas...
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #333
Pinny

Someone on FB said they checked 5 different Academies in the DFW area. All showed in stock but had no units when he arrived. May be a glitch on the Academy website. Hoping they don’t cancel my order.

One nice thing about the GF is that Academy charges a lot less for shipping than they charge for the Brazos.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:02 PM   #334
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinny View Post
Someone on FB said they checked 5 different Academies in the DFW area. All showed in stock but had no units when he arrived. May be a glitch on the Academy website. Hoping they don’t cancel my order.

One nice thing about the GF is that Academy charges a lot less for shipping than they charge for the Brazos.
I seen that. Let’s hope they have some. Would be disappointing to be so close yet so far. I’m gonna hold off on ordering the therm and other items until I get confirmation.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #335
Pinny

Yup exactly. Picking out the therm, casters, cover now. But not ordering until I have a tracking number on the smoker.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:54 PM   #336
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Yup exactly. Picking out the therm, casters, cover now. But not ordering until I have a tracking number on the smoker.
Just got a tracking number from EFW late tonight. We will see how this proceeds.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-16-2021, 04:56 AM   #337
Pinny

Just got my tracking number too!

By the way, Academy took it down again. Good thing we didn’t hesitate to order right away!

Old 04-16-2021, 07:54 AM   #338
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Just got my tracking number too!

By the way, Academy took it down again. Good thing we didn’t hesitate to order right away!
Let’s hope everything is good and it all goes through. I see they also corrected the inventory issues the person was seeing in the Texas stores. I’m not holding my breathe until the shipment is physically on the road.

So what did you end up going with for wheels, therm and cover? I think I may skip a cover since I can put mine inside but definitely want to also pick up a couple ball valves.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #339
Stagg3r
Got Wood.

Well I checked and it looks like they are back up and stocking them nationally now. I just ordered one for delivery. Was getting ready to order a Limo Jr., but it's over a grand difference. I know the OCGS isn't in the same league but it let's me pick up a guru and such and stay on budget. Pretty happy if it works out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210417-155519_Chrome.jpg (23.6 KB, 171 views)
Stagg3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #340
Pinny

Congrats! Not the same class as the Limo Jr, but can’t beat the value for the price.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #341
Stagg3r
Got Wood.

Quote:
Congrats! Not the same class as the Limo Jr, but can’t beat the value for the price.
No doubt! Coming from a Vision kamado that was the equivalent of a medium BGE, I had no need for a pit controller. As it seems like any gravity smoker can benefit from a controller/stoker on startup, the Limo Jr was going to be a real stretch once I was done with the accessories I wanted. The Limo Jr is the least expensive of the high end gravity smokers and screams quality but I can get the OCGS fully outfitted and delivered for less than the base price on the Jr. I may not be able to pass it down to my son, but hey... he is 6... let him buy his own damn rig

Old 04-18-2021, 10:08 PM   #342
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone know the bolt spacing on the wheels? Want to get some upgrades on it and I could just wait until I get the smoker delivered to measure but dang it if I’m not feeling a little impatient,

Old 04-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #343
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg3r View Post
No doubt! Coming from a Vision kamado that was the equivalent of a medium BGE, I had no need for a pit controller. As it seems like any gravity smoker can benefit from a controller/stoker on startup, the Limo Jr was going to be a real stretch once I was done with the accessories I wanted. The Limo Jr is the least expensive of the high end gravity smokers and screams quality but I can get the OCGS fully outfitted and delivered for less than the base price on the Jr. I may not be able to pass it down to my son, but hey... he is 6... let him buy his own damn rig
I feel the same way which is why I also went this route. At the price point you could almost just but a second unit when it burns out or I figured a person would have a good starting base to refab the worn out unit. I don’t plan on keeping mine in the elements so I hope that delays any issues I have for a long time.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:50 PM   #344
Stagg3r
Got Wood.

I just got the shipping confirmation and tracking. Says that it is waiting for carrier pickup. I've learned from Amazon that this is not the same thing as actually having product ready to go but it's a good sign that they believe they can deliver these orders that we are placing.

Sooo... what size is the intake ball valve?
Wonder if I need to consider a mig welder as an accessory as well so I can make an ash pan

Old 04-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #345
Pinny

Heard from a couple places that it’s 1.5”. I saw a simple hack to light the coals - place a lighter cube on top of a large wood chunk or mini split. That will raise it close to the coals and also get some wood smoke moving through your pit.