Backwoods smoker dilemma

Likemike57

Found some matches.
Reaction score
0oYttnV

First of all, there are a lot of thing I like about my Backwoods fatboy, but there is an issue I've had with it since I purchased it about 6 months ago. I have a problem getting good bark/flavor on my meat. The attached image is my pork shoulder today after about 2.5 hours. Obviously it will get better as the cook goes on, but I have a similar issue when cooking ribs at this point. Obviously if you want to wrap your ribs after 2 hours, that's not a good thing.

I'm pretty sure the main issue is the moisture from the water pan, but I have found it difficult to use the backwoods with the water pan empty. I have also tried it with just a 3 inch layer of sand in the pan, but even then I had a hard time keeping my temps under 290/300.

For reference, I have been smoking this butt at 235 and I applied the rub about an hour before it went on the smoker.

IMAGE LINK: https://imgur.com/a/0oYttnV

Have you tried no wrap? How about raise the temp a bit?

I'm going with no wrap today, but in the future I'm worried about my rib cooks. I usually do those around 250 and when I go to wrap them after around 2 hours, I'd like the rub to be set. I think I need an alternative to water for my heat sink (what goes in the water pan), but I'm not sure what to do about that.

I’d try cooking those ribs at 270-280ish until bark is set, then wrap until probe tender. Bunch of different ways to cook ribs. I’m sure you can find a way to get the bark you want in the fatboy.

Turn your temps up. Shoot for a cook at 275. Better yet, let er rip at 290-300. Your ribs and butts will render much better at these higher temps, and I have no problem what so ever achieving an awesome bark on butts and color on ribs with water in the pan.

But I get it - some people want to do 'traditional' low n slow no matter the struggle! Just raise your temps and forget the nonsense. You'll enjoy the results.

Backwoods being a true water cooker definitely put out a different bark. I had 2 and damn they were banging for ribs and loved them for big meats too. Bark just different.

How much wood are you using? I found I could give it the spurs and never over smoke and would put like 8-10 chunks of wood when cooking bigger meats.

I did some no water cooks, but didn't find the results much better.

Oh and also when I switched to lump charcoal the flavor/smoke jumped up a bit too. Briquettes didn't work as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I've always used a firebrick maze to run without water. If you let all that charcoal burn how it wants you'll definitely be cooking over 300 and fighting to keep it there. I use a small hot fire and extra wood chunks. Bark can get close to my stick burner. I think it's because with the smaller controlled fire you don't have to choke the intake and exhaust as much. That's not what most do though but it works for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back