MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Default The most you have ever paid to get into an event?

Could be a flat fee, percentage, or total after the percentage was taken.

So far for me:

$800 flat fee
30% commission
about $2k after the percentage was calculated

There is an event in my area with a $1k for 20 foot frontage + 40%, but I have not done it. thinking about doing it next year.
Fooskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

$900 For a spot.

If they want a fee and a percentage, I would pass. That is double dipping on their part. If you do participate, make sure you charge accordingly and let the customers know why your prices are at that level.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

The most we've paid is $1150 fee plus 50 sandwiches for volunteers. The fee would have been around $1500. It was a mistake and we won't pay anywhere near that again.

I actually prefer the 30% commission over a flat fee. I can price this into the food.

All the vendors will be paying the same fee or commission. So all the vendors should be pricing their offerings accordingly. I don't concern myself with explaining why the food is expensive. I keep the focus on value in all situations.
acguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It was not me, as I would say no. But, someone I worked with paid 10% of gross tickets.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooskey View Post

There is an event in my area with a $1k for 20 foot frontage + 40%, but I have not done it. thinking about doing it next year.

I personally think this is insane. I'm not saying you can double your prices and make a profit but dang. Just not for me at all but good luck if you do it.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I personally think this is insane. I'm not saying you can double your prices and make a profit but dang. Just not for me at all but good luck if you do it.
A food truck 1/3 my size grossed about $20k at that event last year. A lot of work and substantial risk, but you can make a few grand over a weekend.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
little bit of r & r
Knows what a fatty is.

Did you see their books or something to verify they grossed 20k because I have found that truck owners are just as bad as the promoters about how well they do at an event.
little bit of r & r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooskey View Post
A food truck 1/3 my size grossed about $20k at that event last year. A lot of work and substantial risk, but you can make a few grand over a weekend.
I don't doubt it and I get it. But that mean one has to basically double everything. It means in reality they did 10k in sales and sold $5 items for $10. At $20k in sales and agreed up front to give the venue 1K plus 40% that means the vendor gets $9000 and just made more money that a vendor will.

I'm sure vendors are making money doing it or they would not be doing them but I just don't agree with paying anyone 40-50% any they don't even have risk. Or at least maybe if they are having an event that will bring 50k people and that is why they want a large % of sales then maybe they should guarantee the vendor an x number in gate or food sales, or they don't get that 40%.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I don't doubt it and I get it. But that mean one has to basically double everything. It means in reality they did 10k in sales and sold $5 items for $10. At $20k in sales and agreed up front to give the venue 1K plus 40% that means the vendor gets $9000 and just made more money that a vendor will.
I always want the promoter to make money and I don't care how much. I only like win/win situations. If the costs a vendor has to pay requires a sale price that "sold $5 items for $10", it's not gouging; it's just good costing.

Quote:
I'm sure vendors are making money doing it or they would not be doing them but I just don't agree with paying anyone 40-50% any they don't even have risk. Or at least maybe if they are having an event that will bring 50k people and that is why they want a large % of sales then maybe they should guarantee the vendor an x number in gate or food sales, or they don't get that 40%.
Promoters do take a risk. Several in my area no longer exist or are losing huge sums of money. I agree that the fees should be commensurate with a realistic profit, but, some of the fees outlined in this post aren't necessarily excessive. I know of festivals that charge more than anything posted here and, they have a waiting list of vendors. Gilroy Garlic festival for example.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
OL' Timer
On the road to being a farker

$400 for Rivers and Spires in Clarksville. Made $4221 net well worth 4 days of crazy people.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bit of r & r View Post
Did you see their books or something to verify they grossed 20k because I have found that truck owners are just as bad as the promoters about how well they do at an event.
It is someone who I speak to quite often and we both share our hits and misses. I have seen her out on slow days and fast days, and her numbers have always been in line with what I witnessed, so I have little reason to doubt her.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Quote:

Putting on the event is a risk in itself. They will only charge what vendors are willing to pay.

To me, the greater concern is the number of vendors at those events.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree that there is huge risk for for event promoters and large expenses as well as advertising etc. I guess I just think differently than most. I took my kids to Disney World in August 2007 it was very hot and one vendor charged me $18 for a $1 spray water bottle with cold water in it. We ate lunch an I ordered 4 slice of pizza, 4 small fries and 4 fountain drinks one each for my two kids and the wife and I and it cost me $50. Now I'm sure they had to charge me that based on what Mickey Mouse was charging them but guess what, I will never visit Mickey Mouse again because on the ridiculous pricing. Don't worry about Mickey though, there are plenty of people that are going to keep paying the high prices LOL. My only thought is what is too much money to pay for a vending spot?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

I look at event space rates/fees like any other business expense. I evaluate the venue with as much information as I can obtain. I then calculate my expected gross and look at the event fees to see if they will adversely affect my profit margin. If I don't see enough of a profit margin due to the event fees then I don't attend. The amount they charge, in and of itself, is of no concern to me other than whether I can still make my desired margin. It is a business decision that I must make for every event. I have never set a "limit" on attendance fees due to the the uniqueness of each event. It all depends on how I see the bottom line coming out.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
I look at event space rates/fees like any other business expense. I evaluate the venue with as much information as I can obtain. I then calculate my expected gross and look at the event fees to see if they will adversely affect my profit margin. If I don't see enough of a profit margin due to the event fees then I don't attend. The amount they charge, in and of itself, is of no concern to me other than whether I can still make my desired margin. It is a business decision that I must make for every event. I have never set a "limit" on attendance fees due to the the uniqueness of each event. It all depends on how I see the bottom line coming out.
IMHO: This is the most useful post on this thread and is worth repeating.

Thanks from:--->