MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Zedsdead
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Indirect chicken on the bge

Gonna try indirect chicken on the bge tonight to see the difference, if any (only done chicken direct). Do I do the platesetter legs up or down? And how long should it take for boneless breasts if I do it at 375? Any other tips for indirect chicken on the bge are appreciated
Zedsdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Platesetter legs up holing the grate. I'm not sure on cooking time, I would guess 45 min. I'm sure a more knowledgeable Brethren will chime in...

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
TactTm1
On the road to being a farker

That is about the right time. Keep the lid closed until the last 15 minutes, then toss a slice of pineapple and a little more of your seasoning on top the chicken when you inspect. Close it back up and let it go until done.

I'm on a bit of a pineapple kick lately.....

PS: Don't remove the Black Iron Egg topper and set it on the ground close to the grill where if you are barefooted and have a flareup you could accidently kick the topper and break your little toe on your right foot. I'm just saying......

Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
thirdeye

Yep, platesetter legs up, foil or a drip pan on it, cooking grate. I can tell you that skin-on bone-in thighs take about 40 minutes when cooked indirect around 400°. Since I take them into the 180°+ range, I would expect breasts would not take any longer since you will pull them off at 160° to 165°.

Things to consider would be:
1. Brining the breasts
2. Marinating them
3. Basting with a liquid that has a little oil in it
4. Doing a sauce finish

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

Yep, platesetter legs up, foil or a drip pan on it, cooking grate. I can tell you that skin-on bone-in thighs take about 40 minutes when cooked indirect around 400°. Since I take them into the 180°+ range, I would expect breasts would not take any longer since you will pull them off at 160° to 165°.

Things to consider would be:
1. Brining the breasts
2. Marinating them
3. Basting with a liquid that has a little oil in it
4. Doing a sauce finish
Nice looking chicken. Why do you take them to such a high temp? I would think that they would dry out, but since it is YOU doing it, I know that's not the case. If I did it, I'm not so sure.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactTm1 View Post
PS: Don't remove the Black Iron Egg topper and set it on the ground close to the grill where if you are barefooted and have a flareup you could accidently kick the topper and break your little toe on your right foot. I'm just saying......
LOL, this is good to know as I previously authored the saying "lit lump looks an awful lot like unlit lump" when walking barefoot on the patio!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
hammerz_nailz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedsdead View Post
Gonna try indirect chicken on the bge tonight to see the difference, if any (only done chicken direct). Do I do the platesetter legs up or down? And how long should it take for boneless breasts if I do it at 375? Any other tips for indirect chicken on the bge are appreciated
I'd like to know how it comes out and how you like it. I'm doing the same thing tonight for the first cook on my BGE. Thighs 375-400 with a platesetter.
Red Thermapen
hammerz_nailz is offline   Reply With Quote