MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris
Default Cambro??

I bought a Cambro for our last competition a few months back. I plan on doing a brisket this weekend, and want to know how long this thing will keep it hot. I have always used a cooler and towels before the cambro and it worked well. If I use the Cambro will I need to fill extra space with towels like in the cooler? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

My briskets and butts are usually done by 8-9am and they are still too hot to touch at turn in time. No need for towels.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Ron. I am going to give it a try. I will be holding brisket for probably 2-4 hours

Old 10-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

If you preheat the cambro it will stay hot for many hours (~6) depending on how much meat you put into it.

If you don't preheat it, it will stay hot for 4+ hours fully loaded and probably 4 hours with only a brisket. (Others may have a better handle on times)

I don't preheat and put my brisket and two butts into the cambro around 9-10 am and they are still piping hot at 12:30 and 1pm

Old 10-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
keeperofsecrets
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ringo

There are many methods to pre-heating, but just to answer the unasked question: put a pan of boiling water in the cambro for 20-30 minutes before you put your meats in there. This is especially important as the temperatures are falling. A cold cambro is like anything else. It will need to be heated by something: boiling water or your BBQ.

A-1 Competition Smoker
48x48 open wood grill
72x48 open wood grill/smoker/pig roaster
Sam's 8-burner gas Event Grill w/griddle drop-in
Blackstone Range Top Combo Grill
keeperofsecrets is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

That is a great idea!!

Old 10-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I think they claim to lose no more than 4 degrees per hour (if I recall correctly). Either way, pre heat it and you'll definitely be good in 4 hours.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #8
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischandler71 View Post
I bought a Cambro for our last competition a few months back. I plan on doing a brisket this weekend, and want to know how long this thing will keep it hot. I have always used a cooler and towels before the cambro and it worked well. If I use the Cambro will I need to fill extra space with towels like in the cooler? Thanks in advance!
This might be obvious to some, but the Cambro is more efficient than the typical cooler. The first time I went from using a cooler (just a cheap wal-mart cooler with towels) to a Cambro, everything ended up steaming to mush. I did not vent my meat and it did not seem to make a huge difference when using a cooler. Since the Cambro works so well, my meat kept right on cooking. Again this may be obvious for some, but it was a total blindside when I pulled my meat out of the Cambro that first time.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Around 8hrs.....
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2016, 01:48 AM   #10
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If you preheat with steam, hot water it will soften your bark even more , I prefer to use unscented kitty litter or rice sealed in a tin even a heated tin with newspapers

Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

I use my cambro as a cooler for my meats when at a comp. With a bag of ice it will keep things very cold until I need them. At around 8am I take out the ice and the last of the meats. I then fill two pans up with very hot water to convert the cambro from a fridge to a warmer. I dump out the water when I add the meats to the warmer. It has worked flawlessly this year.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Damn, you boys make this too complicated. Take brisket out of smoker. Open foil to let the brisket from continuing to cook. Now, the hard part. Place the steaming brisket in your Cambro!!! I don't latch it all the way, but this mass and steam will warm your Cambro . After wrapping back up, you have a preheated Cambro. One or in some of your cases, 10 extra steps that take you away from concentrating on your 4 meats...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #13
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Damn, you boys make this too complicated. Take brisket out of smoker. Open foil to let the brisket from continuing to cook. Now, the hard part. Place the steaming brisket in your Cambro!!! I don't latch it all the way, but this mass and steam will warm your Cambro . After wrapping back up, you have a preheated Cambro. One or in some of your cases, 10 extra steps that take you away from concentrating on your 4 meats...
Your method won't work so good if you've been using the cambro as a cooler and it's about 35 degrees in there.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
Your method won't work so good if you've been using the cambro as a cooler and it's about 35 degrees in there.

Yes it does. I've done it for years that way when I am not cooking out of my RV.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #15
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

I have never preheated either of my cambros.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote