The "I like my grilled meats no longer walking" appreciation club

Hi!

Tortaboy, I am definitely in your crowd with the grilled beef and if I did post my own grilled beef pron, I imagine the din and chorus would have words like "overcooked, dry, shoe leather, burned, ruined". Sigh. To me my cooked steaks are juicy, flavourful and gorgeous. There is a point of no return for me (charcoal) but the friendly joking of the medium rare crowd starts in miles before that. Thanks to the powers that be we have a choice. I'd go hungry if I found my only option was to eat a grilled steak that had pink in the middle. Roast beef from the oven, same thing -- no pink or I'm making a peanut butter sandwich instead. On occasion I have choked down a steak with a mid stroke of pink to save someone's feelings but it makes me feel a little sick inside and I can't look at it very much. Not a nice way to feel while eating what is otherwise a beautiful steak. You can send all of your 'overcooked' beef to me to feast on and I will give good thanks and be grateful while I stuff myself. Mmmmm.

Kathy's Smokin'

Welcome to the club. You are a brave soul to come clean here and risk the razzing that will be coming shortly.

If I wanted my meat as rare as some of these brethen, I'd just bring a salt and pepper shaker into the pasture, and bite into the first cow I saw! :p

I think it's an acquired taste. When I was a boy I hated rare or raw meat. But as I got older I gained an appreciation for a perfectly cooked steak like this:

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

If only you grilled that a little longer, it would be so gooooood. :tsk:

When I was a boy, I liked eating paste...not sure what that has to do with
undercooked meat? :boxing:

If only you grilled that a little longer, it would be so gooooood. :tsk:

When I was a boy, I liked eating paste...not sure what that has to do with
undercooked meat? :boxing:
If the temp of the meat is in the safe zone it is not undercooked. I shoot for 135F. What temp do you like?

Hi!

When I was a young child I saw my grandfather chop the head off a rooster. It got away and was flapping around. The trauma hit me so hard I stopped eating meat altogether for some time. When I restarted I was really fussy about what meat I ate and how well it was done. I was afraid of raw meat until my late teens until grade 13 Biology where I learned proteins are just a chain of amino acids. Now I can cook raw meat with the best of them. If my only choice was to eat a steak that looked like the picture above I would likely revert back to the vegetarianism I did as child -- like PTSD. I'd rather eat meat than not so I'm staying away from pink to keep that love alive. I love smoking, que'ing, grilling meat and eating it -- that's a good enough reason to keep doing it 'my way'. Right, brothers?

I am NOT a member of this club, came on to just mention i converted one of these type meat eaters to a raw is better =) My wife wont eat any steak over med rare now. You ruin good steak and lamb and many more by taking it past med rare. It makes me sad to think any animal had to die to be overcooked :tsk: lol

Interesting discussion so far. I've already mentioned my preferences. I prefer the texture, tenderness and flavor better at rare to med rare. For those who prefer steaks medium well or well done, what is it that makes that your preference?

If the temp of the meat is in the safe zone it is not undercooked. I shoot for 135F. What temp do you like?

Depends what I'm cooking and how hot I'm cooking.

Definitely higher than 135F. If safe cooking guidelines drop to 125 or 120 in the future, would that be the new temp you are looking for?

Actually, a little pink is okay for my preference. A lot of pink may be safe, but is just nasty for my taste. YMMV....and does.:drama:

I like my steaks just barely medium. the point where the meat loses its raw texture

Interesting discussion so far. I've already mentioned my preferences. I prefer the texture, tenderness and flavor better at rare to med rare. For those who prefer steaks medium well or well done, what is it that makes that your preference?

Since you asked.....

This may sound weird....but eating rare meat reminds me that I am eating the flesh of some animal. My gag reflex starts at medium rare.

Cook it to medium or medium well and it longer reminds me that I am actually eating something that was once alive.

Beef and Lamb Cooking Temperature Chart

Roasts, Steaks & Chops

Rare
120 to 125 degrees F
center is bright red, pinkish toward the exterior portion
Medium Rare
130 to 135 degrees F
center is very pink, slightly brown toward the exterior portion
Medium
140 to 145 degrees F
center is light pink, outer portion is brown
Medium Well
150 to 155 degrees F
not pink
Well Done
160 degrees F and above
steak is uniformly brown throughout

Ground Meat

160 to 165 degrees F

no longer pink but uniformly brown throughout

Just out of curiousity....Why do you not like your ground meat pink? Fear of E coli or just random?

Back