MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #1261
Kidcurry73
On the road to being a farker

Finished mu UDS this weekend and cooked on her twice...My problem is I do not think I have enough draw.

My build: I have eight 3/8 holes in the lid and four 3/4 inch pipe (2 inch long) intakes. The intakes are inserted so that most of the pipe is in the drum no elbows or anything. I had to leave all 4 intakes wide open to get the temps to hit 230-250 and on occasion I had smoke coming out of the the bottom intakes (not being drawn to the top??). And even with one small chunk of wood the smoke was pretty strong (stale smoke not being able to leave the cooker fast enough??)

I had to crack the lid about a inch or more to get close to 300 for the chicken I cooked. Wide open with the lid on it would hold at 250 pretty well but I noticed that with all 4 intakes open like that the wind would really affect the temps and with them all the way open to get to 250 on a 96 degree day I am pretty sure I will have a hard time getting this thing up to temps on a cool day.

So now that Ive rambled on and on here is my question...I believe from my reading that most of the UDSs with eight holes in the lid have 1/2 holes, mine are 3/8, so having holes @ 3/8 inch I have lost 8/8 or 1 inch of air vent. (Correct?). The holes are centered in a circle ala the BDS and I thought about drilling 4 more hole outside of the main circle say one at North, South, East and West so that i would have the 8 main vent hole and four other holes closer to the outer edge of the drum.

Do all you drum gurus think I should punch the existing holes to 1/2 (or larger) or can I add the extra four 3/8 inch holes? Would more holes or bigger holes draw better? Any ideas? To finish off the build My charcoal grate is 2 inches off the bottom the cooking grate is 6 inches from the top, any lower and it would have been closer then 24 inches from the charcoal grate. I con not use the weber kettle lids because the drum is too wide, without the handles and legs the entire kettle will fit inside the drum.

I need to get his figured out so i can do a brisket and a few butts in it on the 4th of July so I can also do some ribs on the Hondo!

Thanks
-'83 Weber Kettle, No date code kettle, A Platinum Kettle (blue with table) and a little O' Smokey Joe
-Older Green Weber Silver Genesis
cmcadams: "What exactly does 'extra bacon' mean? That confuses me, as I don't think it's possible... However, not enough bacon is possible!"
Kidcurry73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #1262
STX Cue
Full Fledged Farker

I think either way of opening up the exhaust holes (adding or enlarging) should solve your problem. That is what I did with mine. I started a fire (no food) and let it burn and kept opening up exhaust holes until I had plenty of draw. It isn't pretty, but it cooks very well.
STX Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #1263
iamuzzyhunter
Full Fledged Farker

I agree stx cue. You need to open your exhaust holes to 1/2". That should make things work a lot better. It works well on mine.
iamuzzyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #1264
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

one exhaust hole 2.25 dia. works great , held 210-225 for 10 hours on about 2-3lbs of charcoal briquettes

Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #1265
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't want to toot my own horn, but can't go wrong with this.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=86
Guaranteed to work.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #1266
BigdogKC

Is there a reason why drilling the bottom holes and then covereing each hole up with something wouldn't work as well as putting in the valve thingys at the bottom? I am trying to do this on the cheap, but I want to make sure it works right too.

BTW major thanks to HoDeDo who hooked me up with a drum!! I'll try to do ya proud!!
BigdogKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #1267
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdogKC View Post
Is there a reason why drilling the bottom holes and then covereing each hole up with something wouldn't work as well as putting in the valve thingys at the bottom? I am trying to do this on the cheap, but I want to make sure it works right too.

BTW major thanks to HoDeDo who hooked me up with a drum!! I'll try to do ya proud!!
Magnets have been working great for quite a few. Check WHL3 post.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #1268
Kidcurry73

I pretty much did exactly like you did in the link Norco except my holes are/where smaller :) and closer to the center of the lid...I can not move the holes but I can/did make them bigger. Also my nipples are longer but I don't think that has much to do with it, but I could be wrong.

Old hole size pic...
-'83 Weber Kettle, No date code kettle, A Platinum Kettle (blue with table) and a little O' Smokey Joe
cmcadams: "What exactly does 'extra bacon' mean? That confuses me, as I don't think it's possible... However, not enough bacon is possible!"

Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #1269
Norcoredneck

My feelings on smaller (shorter) nipples is that it makes cleaning/scraping bottom easier.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #1270
Kidcurry73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
My feelings on smaller (shorter) nipples is that it makes cleaning/scraping bottom easier.

Amen to that, I already learned that little lesson...but if my new larger holes help with the draw I will leave it as for the time being, until I build my next one. I already have 3 more barrels!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #1271
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidcurry73 View Post
I pretty much did exactly like you did in the link Norco except my holes are/where smaller :) and closer to the center of the lid...I can not move the holes but I can/did make them bigger. Also my nipples are longer but I don't think that has much to do with it, but I could be wrong.

Old hole size pic...
Enlarge them holes and it'll run a lot beter for ya!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #1272
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Enlarge them holes and it'll run a lot beter for ya!
No bubba Chinese Bob is back in Ohio, your home now.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #1273
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

You're not going to let that die are you. That's ok. There will come a time soon.....

Old 06-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #1274
Kidcurry73

I never know if i should do my own UDS thread or keep adding to this monster, good thread. Its almost a right of passage to read it all.
So...
New BIGGER 1/2 inch holes, if its still not enough I will add 4 more closer to the outer edge of the drum...

Inside...in real life its not this blurry...

The whole enchilada, the cart idea was stolen from someone on here. (sorry I do not remember who)...

I still need to decide if/what color I am going to paint it, as of right now its got oil on the outside. My daughter whats to to a flame job on it but I kind of like it Ugly.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #1275
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
Can i throw in some flavored wood pellets from my Traeger instead of wood chunks and get the same results?
take the whole system off the Traeger and adapt it to your drum. Bubba will love it then . Pellet envy mod

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker