MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #10261
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

I should have clarified. The paint from the outside didn't burn off. There was nothing on the inside.

I ended up using a vinegar bath to get rid of the rust. Added some elbow grease with steel wool and it looked good.

One last question - after the vinegar bath, I totally spaced about washing it out with soap and warm water. I just greased her up and seasoned for about three hours. There was about 1 inch of standing vinegar in the base, but I pour it out and wiped the inside down. Should I be worried I didn't wash in the inside with soap/water?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #10262
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
I should have clarified. The paint from the outside didn't burn off. There was nothing on the inside.

I ended up using a vinegar bath to get rid of the rust. Added some elbow grease with steel wool and it looked good.

One last question - after the vinegar bath, I totally spaced about washing it out with soap and warm water. I just greased her up and seasoned for about three hours. There was about 1 inch of standing vinegar in the base, but I pour it out and wiped the inside down. Should I be worried I didn't wash in the inside with soap/water?
Acidic acid is a corrosive rinse it out with water and light it up let it burn for an hr to dry it out.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #10263
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

So even though I've seasoned it at 350 for a few hours, I should go back and wash it out? Then light it up to dry? Then reseason?

I have no problems doing that, but I just want to make sure that is what you are advising.

EDIT: I googled this. Oil is a base, which should have neutralized what vinegar was left on the surface. I'm going to just go with it the way it is. If my drum corrodes over the next few years, I'll just rebuild it using the parts. Its not like this is a $400 WSM or anything.

Last edited by Wh1skey6; 11-08-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Wh1skey6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10264
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
So even though I've seasoned it at 350 for a few hours, I should go back and wash it out? Then light it up to dry? Then reseason?

I have no problems doing that, but I just want to make sure that is what you are advising.

EDIT: I googled this. Oil is a base, which should have neutralized what vinegar was left on the surface. I'm going to just go with it the way it is. If my drum corrodes over the next few years, I'll just rebuild it using the parts. Its not like this is a $400 WSM or anything.
Fire that biatch up and start cooking!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #10265
DarylCincy
Found some matches.

Default Video of my UDS!

I really like my UDS! easy to build and use.
Here is my video of my UDS...

Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #10266
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

I decided to power wash mine, again, with some Simple Green, as the snow was coming down. Followed it up with dish washing soap and hot water. Regreased and got her ready. With all three 3/4" intakes open, she hit 350 in no time.

About 30 minutes later, this is what it looked like. I didn't paint the outside and didn't want to deal with rust, so I covered her up. Kept between 350 - 375 until I went to bed.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #10267
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Any tips on during my first burn/season of my new UDS? Im gonna rub the inside down with some oil of some kind and load up the basket and let her rip for a few hours then throw some kind of meat on.
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #10268
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_1 View Post
Any tips on during my first burn/season of my new UDS? Im gonna rub the inside down with some oil of some kind and load up the basket and let her rip for a few hours then throw some kind of meat on.
Some people say not to use an oil that can turn rancid, but if you crank it up, you'll be fine.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #10269
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I didn't oil anything. After the burn, I washed it out and started cooking. It seasoned just fine on it's own.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #10270
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:

You can use PAM, or the cheap cooking spray they sell at WALMART... I believe they sell it too at those 0.99 cents stores:

Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #10271
Arizona Ugly I
Knows what a fatty is.

Her name: Arizona Ugly I

My first UDS, almost finished with the build. Im a AC guy so I used some aluminum round duct with a built in damper for the stack. Learned a lot from my build so far, would do a couple things differently. Tomorrow we finish with the charcoal ash tray and diffuser/drip pan then we season her and Sunday, I hope, smoke a ham.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my smoker.jpg (29.0 KB, 705 views)
Arizona Ugly I is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #10272
Mattzilla
Full Fledged Farker

Does this count as a hijack?

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #10273
Jah62370
Found some matches.

Default Patience????

Patience is not something that I have an over abundance of, therefor I decided to build a smoker because I do enjoy smoked foods. I know that slow and low is the motto and I figured that in order to smoke food I enjoy I may also be able to teach myself to gain some patience along the way. Plus finishing a project is also not one of my strong suits. So I figure what better way to train myself on two things I really need to work on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.1 KB, 675 views)
Jah62370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #10274
Jah62370
Found some matches.

Since the photo that I previously posted I have made some adjustments to my UDS. I have added a 3" river country dial thermo, removed the air intake risers and purchased a maverick et 73. So far so good. Meat has been coming off my smoker every weekend since. Just trying to dial it all in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.2 KB, 668 views)
Jah62370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #10275
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I sprayed her down with some Pam loaded up the basket with kings ford blue and some apple wood. Started playin with the intakes to get a feel for the temp and I have to say she's works flawlessly! I let it burn for a couple hours then threw some pork ribs on it. This thing cruises at 275 with just the ball valve open all the way. Ribs are still on as I type this. Here's a couple pics from my phone. This is my first time smoking anything so I hope it works out good!

Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker