MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #4261
CostaRican
Got Wood.

my first drum couldnt hold 275. I was making it cause my ecb electric was beat by crockpot ribs. Skimming the thread was useless. reading the entire combersome long thread got me a great USD. thanks

CostaRican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #4262
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Short time lurker first time poster .
Searching for recommendations for a New Braunfels side burner I landed here. After reading the entire thread, I feel I'm too a drum head. I have also got 3 neighbors on board.

We are currently sourcing all materials for our first build.

We are truly attempting to stay true and make ugly $0 cost Drum Smokers. From there we will venture into making high "WAF" PDS's.

We will stay true and with the help of these forums try and document our journey with plenty of FOOD/DRUM ProN ♫♥.
jetfxr27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #4263
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I'm 'legal' now- what better place to start than the mother-of-all-UDS threads? Actually, that's how i found this site in the first place. What started all of this was finding a stainless steel drum a couple days ago, and I knew I wanted to build a smoker out of it. I've been looking for an SS drum for years! After hours of exhaustive research (did any one tell you guys that this thread is LONG?!) I've decided that a UDS is the direction I'll go. Tomorrow morning I'll start annoying the neighbors while I get the drum ready. Mine is a sealed head, so I'll start by cutting that off. I have some expanded plate to make a fire pit and grates out of. I'm still trying to decide on a lid. My Weber lid sorta fits, but it's a little small. I put a feeler out to Arctic about their SS grill lid. I've also found SS bowls and wok covers that are big enough.

I'm a tool and die maker by trade, so the actual building will be the easy part, once I gather my materials. I'm still tinkering with ideas to adjust the bottom vents. I might just make little swiveling doors with tension springs to hold them in place. I also thought about making an internal sleeve with holes that line up with the vent holes. I could turn the sleeve to adjust the vents. The ball valves are great, but I don't like it sticking out so far. Stay tuned......

Jay
MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #4264
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Scored my first drums. Unlined open tops $5 each. I had access to lined closed top for free. Figured it was worth the $5 to not have the fire department pay a visit.

Plan on burning out with weed burner

By the way heres a 20% off coupon if anyone needs a new one
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...00&single=true ]

Then pressure wash with dove soap, and pam it down until the fatties tommorow. Does this sound like a good enough clean out for the interior? Would you do a FULL Burn out?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #4265
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

What was in the barrel before you got it?

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #4266
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schellter View Post
What was in the barrel before you got it?
I was told that it came from a local food plant (newlyweds food) and was ready to be cooked in as is. When I initially called and asked for the drum the guys first response was, is it for a BBQ pit? Being I'm in Memphis I'm assuming he may have made a business just selling these drums for Grills. There is a Horizontal drum in every backyard here.

I guess I just want to have piece of mind knowing there is absolutely nothing in the drum. At the same time I don't want to have to paint the exterior.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #4267
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I'm 'legal' now- what better place to start than the mother-of-all-UDS threads? Actually, that's how i found this site in the first place. What started all of this was finding a stainless steel drum a couple days ago, and I knew I wanted to build a smoker out of it. I've been looking for an SS drum for years! After hours of exhaustive research (did any one tell you guys that this thread is LONG?!) I've decided that a UDS is the direction I'll go. Tomorrow morning I'll start annoying the neighbors while I get the drum ready. Mine is a sealed head, so I'll start by cutting that off. I have some expanded plate to make a fire pit and grates out of. I'm still trying to decide on a lid. My Weber lid sorta fits, but it's a little small. I put a feeler out to Arctic about their SS grill lid. I've also found SS bowls and wok covers that are big enough.

I'm a tool and die maker by trade, so the actual building will be the easy part, once I gather my materials. I'm still tinkering with ideas to adjust the bottom vents. I might just make little swiveling doors with tension springs to hold them in place. I also thought about making an internal sleeve with holes that line up with the vent holes. I could turn the sleeve to adjust the vents. The ball valves are great, but I don't like it sticking out so far. Stay tuned......

Jay
Mush....I have a thread on my SS UDS (stainless steel uds ). I kept mine totally SS with only a couple tiny execptions. I do have an Arctic SS domed lid. I didn't quite fit even after hammering down the edge so I did an additional mod and added 4 #10(I think) bolts to align the lid and keep it on. Worked good but I also added some furnace gasket because the nuts on the bolts held it a lite 1/8 inch above the rim of the drum.

On my first burn I couldn't control the temps worth a hoot!! Problem solved as it is humming along as I write at about 230*. Even cooked a fattie with swiss cheese and black olives. I also used a damper from a BGE(pricey) but with the keeping all SS. My wife calls it the mine rocket and asks when is it taking off!!!!!! Got my racks half price roughly and I had an old metal milk crate for the fire basket. Had the turkey fryer thermoneters (12") and mounted them about 1/2" below each grate. And bought a digital for sticking the meat. All in all I have only $135 in it. Got my SS drum at a garage sale for a mere $5.00!!!!

I'll try and locate my thread and post it.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #4268
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Mush.....I think this will get you to my build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=69650.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #4269
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

the stainless is sweet we have one also but we have it running on pellets

Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #4270
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
Scored my first drums. Unlined open tops $5 each. I had access to lined closed top for free. Figured it was worth the $5 to not have the fire department pay a visit.

Plan on burning out with weed burner

By the way heres a 20% off coupon if anyone needs a new one
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...00&single=true ]

Then pressure wash with dove soap, and pam it down until the fatties tommorow. Does this sound like a good enough clean out for the interior? Would you do a FULL Burn out?

I'm thinkin' you're good to go bro...fire it up!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #4271
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm agree with JD. Go for it!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #4272
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

There is some type dry film on the inside. I put the torch to it and got some faint smoke, but no real odor or fumes.

Planning on doing a full burn just in case , however really not looking forward to burning , prepping, painting, drying etc...

Plus I will have to scrounge up enough pallets to get it hot enough.

So y'all think its good? Maybe I'll go for it.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #4273
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Finally got my unlined drums today and finished my charcoal basket. Going to finish the 1st drum tomm, will post more pics. Plan on washing and then seasoning. How long after washing out would you guys season?Does anyone think I made the basket too big? Thanks
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #4274
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Seen this on the web.
No mandrel bends? What a slacker.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #4275
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

I beleive around page 100-150, someone mentioned the food drums with this coating was eezy peezy.

Stuff is tuff as nails, up against this

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker