MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #3511
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obnepec View Post
All,

Just a few items:

1) could everyone with a 55 gallon smoker please post the inside depth (from bottom of drum to lip where lid sits and the diameter of your drum? With all the talk about how a weber lid does or doesn't fit I would like to see what the deviation is.

2) I have heard alot about flipping the meat although with my current smoker (just a small vertical with propane burner then wood holder then water pan I have never flipped. What my current idea is is to have a rack just above the charcoal basket with a large disposable lasagna pan (ie the tin foil ones you can buy at any grocery store) filled with water/wine etc. Will that reduce the need to flip the meat?

3) How many people have more than 1 rack? I would like to put multiple racks in (or at least have the hardware in if I need extra volume) and I can understand why you would want a certain distance if its just the food above the coals but once again does the water pan help to mitigate the high direct heat so that multiple grills would work?

Thanks for any info.
Obnepec
1.33.5x22.5 ID, 33.5x22.5ID, 34.5x22.5ID
2. I don't flip- never seen the need with the UDS. No water pan as the UDS maintains moisture fine as is and I don't need anything dripping down off the lid. Part of the flavor of a UDS comes from fat dripping on the fire.
3. I have two racks as there are occasions when I want to catch some fat drippings to make a gravy. If I'm cooking more than a rackfull its because I have two barrels going
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #3512
jerrykr
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been using the Uniflame clone lid and parts for about a year now, and am having very good luck.

I really like the hinges.

I built my drum upside down and the lid sits right on top of the "bottom" rim. I didn't bend the edges but very little to match the drum rim. After a few smokes you get enough seasoning built up that it seals it pretty well.

It's all here in my blog.

www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com

Jerry
jerrykr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #3513
HawkeyeQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm not the handiest guy around so bare with me through all my questions, I will post pics shortly, I'm starting my build on Friday. I just received my donor lid and cooking grates tonight. I'm fairly sure they are from the first Weber grill ever made and have been sitting in a shed out in the country for a loooong time. What is the best way to clean old grill grates and the inside of the lid? I think I remember reading spraying with oven cleaner and sealing up in a garbage bag and leaving them out in the sun for a day. Does this work? is there a better way?
HawkeyeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #3514
jerrykr
Knows what a fatty is.

I've used the oven cleaner and trash bag. After soaking, I put them in my dishwasher. Works pretty well. I don't know about the lid, I guess oven cleaner and a high pressure wash, the local car wash perhaps?
jerrykr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #3515
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhunter View Post
I am building a UDS and just cut off the top since I plan to use a Weber kettle lid. My question is regarding the exhaust vent on the Weber lid....is it big enough? Or do I need to add another exhaust vent to it? Do you guys who use the kettle lids modify them for more exhaust?

Also, the barrel had some iso-butyl-something-or-other alcohol in it and is unlined. Alcohol is VERY volatile and there is no longer any odor just from being open a couple hours. Should I still burn it out or just season it at a fairly high temp? I am hoping to avoid taking a wire brush to the inside and outside of the thing if possible.

I will take pics and post up when I complete the project.

Thanks!
I found that my drum doesn't like to run above 200 with the weber lid on, with standard exhaust. If I put the flat lid, with 2 in exhaust on, it takes off to higher temps. I was at the local Ace hardware store/ weber dealer and ask if they had an extra lid for sale. They had a scratch and dent model, with thermo in handle, wanted $18 for it. SOLD. Brought it home and added another vent from the WSM replacement parts inventory that I have. Now I have over 3.5 sq. in. of exhaust instead of 3.14 sq in. Haven't tried it yet. Will post pics of mod, wife has camera today at work.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #3516
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by helljack6 View Post
I measured my barrels this weekend while I was plotting where various holes are going. My barrel diameter is 23 1/2" so I need to come up with something for a modified dome lid. I've seen it before where you could just buy replacement weber kettle lids but I can't remeber where it was. HELP!!!! LMAO.

Check with your local weber dealer. I found a scratch and dent for $18.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #3517
la smoker
Got Wood.

Default I feel like a traitor!

Being from Louisiana I am for LSU all the way, I even have a purple UDS, I have posted a picture of it before. I had the LSU smoker at the office cooking ribs one Friday and the postman just happened to delay delivery until time to eat!! It so happens he hates LSU (Damn him) So he wanted me to to build him a Florida Gators UDS, It went against everything I believe in But I did it anyway. Here is a few pictures of it for all the Florida brethen. You cant see it but it has a 3/4 ball valve on a 24" pipe on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010026.JPG (64.6 KB, 1235 views)
File Type: jpg P1010027.JPG (55.5 KB, 1233 views)
File Type: jpg P1010028.JPG (66.9 KB, 1233 views)
File Type: jpg P1010029.JPG (63.9 KB, 1234 views)
8-)
la smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #3518
Skidder
Babbling Farker

la smokers got bling!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #3519
FLORIDASMOKER
Found some matches.

HEADRUSH
Thanks for the idea for where you put the snorkle I went to the hardware store and bought a electric range reflector bowl that sits under the electric elements on a electric stove and it has two smaller holes that I will use magnets on. Looks cool its crome and upside down on top looks cool.Maybe use a elecrical junction box cover on top and one screw so i can adjust air flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrush View Post
FLSmoker, i had bought the uniflame grill and had the same issues as you with the lid. i bent, beat, tortured, and shed tears over the lid not fitting well.

instead of using the lid, here's what i did:

i put the original flat lid back on the drum, and pounded it into place so that it would not come loose. then i took a sawzall and cut a hole in it, leaving a 1" lip. i took the bottom part of the grill, and VOILA - it was a perfect fit. i found a stove pipe joint and flange, and with a few bolts have an airtight lid. now i need to find a 4" damper for that exhaust, a lid handle or two, and the "snork" (as i call it) will be complete. i think the lower part of the uniflame is a heavier gauge than the lid; just something to think about.

note - it is a big 4" exhaust, but i've managed to use a magnet as a damper for the time being. in combo with the 3/4" pipe nipple and ball valve my UDS has held 225 for ~6hrs, the longest smoke i've done on it to date (beef ribs below)...

Last edited by FLORIDASMOKER; 07-01-2009 at 07:30 PM..
FLORIDASMOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #3520
FLORIDASMOKER
Found some matches.

oops pictures

FLORIDASMOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #3521
headrush
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDASMOKER View Post
oops pictures

love it. looks like antique deep sea diving equipment. geronimooooo!
headrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #3522
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by la smoker View Post
Being from Louisiana I am for LSU all the way, I even have a purple UDS, I have posted a picture of it before. I had the LSU smoker at the office cooking ribs one Friday and the postman just happened to delay delivery until time to eat!! It so happens he hates LSU (Damn him) So he wanted me to to build him a Florida Gators UDS, It went against everything I believe in But I did it anyway. Here is a few pictures of it for all the Florida brethen. You cant see it but it has a 3/4 ball valve on a 24" pipe on the back.

Did ya have to make it so purty for a GATOR fan?
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #3523
spaz815
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default doing it right

Hey guys. I'm new to BBQ smoking and to this forum. First I would like to thank everyone it this forum you guys have helped me out a lot. I've randomly read through this post for the past month or so to get some great info and ideas. Well last Friday I found a 30 gal drum and made me a smoker. Now this is my first drum smoker I got the Brinkman for Fathers day. So I'm really new to this. I've only tried chicken so far. And I didn't screw it up. It was good. LOL I have a question and if anyone could give me some info that would be great. Is it ok to use Aluminum in the UDS? I know something has been mentioned or I heard it somewhere. But I've read so much in the past month or so I can't get it right if you are or not able to. Anyone with any info. Thanks
spaz815 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #3524
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeQue View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm not the handiest guy around so bare with me through all my questions, I will post pics shortly, I'm starting my build on Friday. I just received my donor lid and cooking grates tonight. I'm fairly sure they are from the first Weber grill ever made and have been sitting in a shed out in the country for a loooong time. What is the best way to clean old grill grates and the inside of the lid? I think I remember reading spraying with oven cleaner and sealing up in a garbage bag and leaving them out in the sun for a day. Does this work? is there a better way?

Ive been known to nail my grills to a sawhorse and go at them with a wire wheel on my grinder... works real fast

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #3525
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz815 View Post
Hey guys. I'm new to BBQ smoking and to this forum. First I would like to thank everyone it this forum you guys have helped me out a lot. I've randomly read through this post for the past month or so to get some great info and ideas. Well last Friday I found a 30 gal drum and made me a smoker. Now this is my first drum smoker I got the Brinkman for Fathers day. So I'm really new to this. I've only tried chicken so far. And I didn't screw it up. It was good. LOL I have a question and if anyone could give me some info that would be great. Is it ok to use Aluminum in the UDS? I know something has been mentioned or I heard it somewhere. But I've read so much in the past month or so I can't get it right if you are or not able to. Anyone with any info. Thanks
I use aluminum all the time for drip pans and such. What were you planning to use it for?
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker