MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #2896
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masiewiz View Post
The engine block paint comes in many cool colors, but the can says it is rated for "Up to 400 degrees intermittently". BBQ paint is rated to 1500 degrees, but pretty much just black. Has anyone had trouble with their paint burning off or fading? I wanna paint my UDS...aka Frankenstein green, is engine block paint OK?

Masiewiz
As far as paint goes, I dont think we really need anything high heat on these... I have been having good luck with Rustoleum and spraying it... a quart can will do about 4 drums using my handy HF touch up gun.. its really a hell of a lot more economical than using a rattle can.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #2897
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwolf View Post
its really a hell of a lot more economical than using a rattle can.
Easier on your finger too.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #2898
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Masiewiz,
Here is a pic of my paint job and my mistake on my second smoke where I left the lid off a bit to long.

The UDS has a base coat of 1500* black BBQ paint and the top coat is a Rustoleum metal paint. As you can see the black is fine and the red got a bit toasted. Depending on what you want colorwise, I would go with black base and the engine paint for a top coat and be careful not to leave the lid off and let the temp spike on you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02525.jpg (60.3 KB, 1216 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02756.jpg (57.3 KB, 1217 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #2899
Chavo27
Full Fledged Farker

I think it just adds character to your drum =>

Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #2900
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Chavo, but the original paint job looked so nice to me.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC

Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #2901
Chavo27
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Thanks Chavo, but the original paint job looked so nice to me.
yeah but not it looks like it's actually been used and not something that just sits around as decoration.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #2902
BBQWildcat
On the road to being a farker

Hi All, I have been trying to finish this thread for a while but things keep coming up! Love the site by the way Tons of Info on here. I just got my 1st drum on Saturday and i am going to start on it a little at the time. I have a couple of questions...

1. is the red stuff in the drum the liner that i need to burn?
2. How about that rubber looking ring in the lid burn it off?
3. Will acetone or paint thinner help loosen the junk inside, and will it be safe to burn after airing it out after drying, then will it be safe to cook on?
4. does it matter how long the nipples are for intakes?
i have some 1/2 4 inch nipples and i have some 3/4 1 and 2 inchers and close nipples 3/4
which one would be better before i start drilling?

I have a lot of the parts to make it i think.

Thanks in advance guys! You guys are a treasure trove of information

TuckP1030035.jpg

P1030037.jpg

P1030038.jpg
BBQWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #2903
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Hello Wildcat. That red stuff looks to be the dreaded liner. Must be burned out. I don't know if those solvents will help but do doubt they will soften anything. I believe the liner is cured epoxy. That gasket needs to go and someone used a heat gun and a small chisel to remove it. The 3/4" close nipples are what I used on mine because they don't intrude into the drum very far and hence won't get in the way when cleaning out the drum in the future. Those are the only answers I can help you with, so good luck with your build.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #2904
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner. It will heat better if you cover it. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down some and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Then shut it down and let it cool. This solution will strip paint, grease, dirt, or oily junk off anything. I use the bottom of a once-lined drum for a cooking grate soaker, and i do the same thing - propane cooker, water, dishwashing detergent. I use a whole lot less dishwashing detergent. After just one time the liner was already falling off. Half a box will knock it out for sure.

After it cools all the way down, bail it out using a 5 gallon bucket and go dump the solution down a (funky) toilet that goes to a sewage treatment plant. Don't dump it outside or into a storm drain. We put dishwashing detergent down our drains every single day, and a little dissolved paint will be filtered right out by the treatment plant. Rinse your drum real well and wipe it out with dry rags. It probably won't need any wire brushing, but if there are any stuck-on spots, they will come off way easier after this soaking.

You'll burn a few $$$ in propane, but you will save yourself a real dirty job and this is probably more environmentally appropriate too.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #2905
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

That is an interesting way to get the inside paint off. I hope BBQWildcat or anyone that is building a UDS and tries it will let us know and show us the process and results with some pics.

Sure beats having the fire department show up.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC

Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #2906
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepitboss View Post
If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner...
460lbs of caustic boiling water on a Costco turkey burner? You've actually done this?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #2907
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
That is an interesting way to get the inside paint off. I hope BBQWildcat or anyone that is building a UDS and tries it will let us know and show us the process and results with some pics.
And video please...

Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #2908
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner. It will heat better if you cover it. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down some and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Then shut it down and let it cool. This solution will strip paint, grease, dirt, or oily junk off anything. I use the bottom of a once-lined drum for a cooking grate soaker, and i do the same thing - propane cooker, water, dishwashing detergent. I use a whole lot less dishwashing detergent. After just one time the liner was already falling off. Half a box will knock it out for sure.

After it cools all the way down, bail it out using a 5 gallon bucket and go dump the solution down a (funky) toilet that goes to a sewage treatment plant. Don't dump it outside or into a storm drain. We put dishwashing detergent down our drains every single day, and a little dissolved paint will be filtered right out by the treatment plant. Rinse your drum real well and wipe it out with dry rags. It probably won't need any wire brushing, but if there are any stuck-on spots, they will come off way easier after this soaking.

You'll burn a few $$$ in propane, but you will save yourself a real dirty job and this is probably more environmentally appropriate too.

seattlepitboss

I've seen this movie... The fat guy get's burned...
22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #2909
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

seattlepitboss
You may want to change your name, the feds will be looking you up after reading this.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #2910
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

I finally got my UDScompleted! Thanks to Pat (Norco), n8man and Barbarian for their help and words of wisdom!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds.jpg (54.0 KB, 1162 views)
File Type: jpg uds4.jpg (58.7 KB, 1166 views)
File Type: jpg uds2.jpg (45.2 KB, 1165 views)
File Type: jpg uds5.jpg (58.2 KB, 1168 views)
File Type: jpg uds7.jpg (109.3 KB, 1169 views)

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:

Last edited by garyk1398; 04-20-2009 at 08:13 PM..
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker